xxxii. nick manning.💧

You're expecting a daughter with your husband, Nick, and you're about 5 months along

This requires you to stay home from work as a NICU nurse quite often, but you would still go in every now and then.

Being married to Nick Manning has its perks. He's hot, he loves animals, and he is a paramedic.

He enjoys his job, but sometimes, it just gets the best of him. He will be extra hard on himself, and that requires him to beat himself up.

One particular night, Nick ran a call for an unresponsive infant, and when he heard dispatch over the radio, it crushed him.

With him being an expecting father, he felt empathy towards whoever the victims were.

His partner, Holly Monteleone, responded to dispatch and they were soon in route. Right now, you're at you & Nick's shared home watching TV.

You lived a few minutes from the hospital, so you were constantly kept up by the ambulance sirens.

Nick and Holly were on scene, and although they did everything in their power to save the small child, their attempts to maintain life were unsuccessful.

When they called the physician to pronounce the child, Nick released a shaky sigh when he heard, "time of death: 2:51 a.m."

As they returned to their ambulance, Holly texted you.

From H. Mont: Just ran a call & pronounced an infant. Nick isn't taking it too well. Meet us at Touro?

You frowned as you replied.

To H. Mont: I'll be there in a few.

You got dressed, and locked your house. You were tired, but you drove to Touro Infirmary anyway.

As you waited at the hospital door, you met up with Dan and Titus cleaning their ambulance before they were to go back in service.

"Y/N! Whatchu doin' here, Ma? Shouldn't you be at home, restin' that baby?" Titus' thick accent joked, as he hugged you.

"I should be, but Holly told me Nick had a rough call. Just pronounced an infant." You explained, hugging Dan, too.

"Awh man, that's got to be hard on him." Dan replied, his voice quiet. Before you could speak out against the silence, Titus' radio burst alive with a call.

"Alright, Ma. You stay safe out here, and get out of this cold." He joked. He knew it was nearly 80 degrees, but contrary to new Orleans typical 95+ degree weather, this was cool.

"Okay. Y'all save some lives." With a smile, they hopped in the ambulance, Dan in the passenger as per usual, and they were off.

Right as they left, the familiar ambulance number 3232 pulled in. Nick wore a confused face, wondering what you were doing here.

He hopped out and walked towards you. "Hey baby girl, what are you doing here?" He asked, and you could see his eyes seemed a little red from crying.

"I heard about your call," Nick glanced at Holly who continued eating her 'in between shifts' snack guiltily. "Nick, you're an amazing paramedic, and in this job, you can't save everyone."

He sighed, shaking his head. "The baby was just so, so small.." He began to become overwhelmed by emotion again, his lip quivering.

"You did all you could, and that's all you can do. If it's someone's time, there's no prolonging it." You explained, and he simply nodded.

"Our baby is doing just fine, and she is going to be happy and healthy, okay?" Again, he nodded understandingly. "Hopefully she'll have the same passion of saving lives just like her mother and father."

His lips reluctantly pulled a smirk when you said that, and you couldn't help but laugh. "Nick, they callin' us!" Holly told him, hopping in the driver's side of the ambulance.

He released a groan, having just a little too much going on in shift. The city was very much alive tonight.

"Alright, Nicholas. I'll see you when you get off." You stood on your toes to give his lips a soft kiss, in which he smiled into.

"I love you, my lil lady."

"I love you, too."

-

transferring all my nightwatch imagines, so if this one looks familiar, that's why haha

-a.