2 - Starched shirt

People packed the town hall for the school board meeting. There were plenty of teenagers, but her kids were the only young children. Tessa never left them with a babysitter. It was ironic since Maya was raised by a nanny for her first two years of life. Her parents watched them, but they were in Florida to escape the winter.

When the board opened public comment for the proposal to change start times a line formed. While they stood waiting to speak, Chloe grew restless, so Tessa lifted her heavy body into her arms. Ahead of her was a man dressed professionally in a starched shirt with wrinkles.

Tessa was familiar with how shirts started each morning, crisp with the faint smell of starch. It was almost impossible to fasten the tiny buttons at the wrist. As the day wore on, the shirt became softer and wrinkled in the back. Sometimes the sleeves would be rolled up and the shirt always took on the scent of its wearer - remnants of aftershave and sweat.

Tessa stared at the broad masculine back and compared it to the one she used to know like the back of her hand. Squeezing her eyes shut, she forced herself to concentrate on the speakers. Thankfully, there were others representing the younger children's interests. She felt her nerves wake up as the man in front of her spoke. She was too anxious about speaking to listen to him. It had been a long time since she had a large audience.

Tessa heard enough to know he was supporting the teenagers before she stepped forward. Chloe was heavy on her shoulder.

"My name is Tessa Simon, and I live at fourteen Jenson Road. These are my daughters who are in second grade and Kindergarten. As you can see, it is well past their bedtime. In order to get the recommended amount of sleep and a good breakfast, my children would have to go to bed right after dinner. Parents with young children hardly have time to see their children. This change may give the lucky few more time to play after school, but it just means more hours in daycare and expense for young families."

Her girls weren't in daycare, but so many others were including Chloe's friend Abbie. She finished her speech without focusing on anyone around her. She left the podium and turned straight toward the door. She needed to get home. Because of the standing room only crowd, she bumped into a body and mumbled, "Excuse me." It was the starch shirt who stepped backward to let her pass.

She'd be blind not to notice he was good looking. Although he was on the other side of the issue, he had a kind smile. She kept walking. The last thing she needed was to get caught staring at some woman's husband.

The following day, it was no surprise when they were late for school again. Lisa smiled at her, but Tessa was convinced the other woman criticized her behind her back for being late. Did she feel sorry for her? Tessa hated sympathy and avoided it by keeping her past secret. Sweep.

"I watched the meeting online. You did an outstanding job."

"It won't make a difference. There were too many fighting for the teens."

"You were right after Dr. Bennett."

"Who?" Was the starched shirt a doctor? Lisa's kids were in college, but she knew everyone in town.

"He has three teens. No one thinks about their kids leaving the house long after they're at work. I worry my youngest isn't waking up to get to her classes." She was two hours away at the state university.

Tessa shrugged, she had resigned herself the board had already decided regardless of what she said at the meeting.

The next time she met Amy for coffee, they spent most of their hour together looking at Amy's phone. There were two camps and opinions were all over social media.

"I don't know who any of these people are." Tessa only knew the parents in the PTA and her girls' friends and teammates.

"One of the big leaders is Kristi Probst. You know I think she's friends with your friend, the teacher."