89 - Upside down

This is the second of a double update.

Tessa lay in bed while Patrick went downstairs. He loved her. She knew he loved their baby and her girls, but she could only hope that he loved her. She loved him too, but it scared her. What if he left her? What if Hannah drove a wedge between them? She had loved no one but David. She might have thought it a few times, but it wasn't real. With Patrick, it felt real. Staying in this house and watching him help with Maya and Chloe was a preview of what their life could be. From the time she told him about the baby, he wanted to move forward with the goal of being together. She never believed it would happen, but somehow it had, at least in her heart. She missed him those two days she was at home before her ankle.

Loving each other might not be enough. They weren't kids starting out or even unattached professionals. They had two separate lives and an important person rooting against them. If Erica was watching, Tessa hoped she would influence her daughter. Was David happy for her?

Patrick thought he knew her, but she had kept a piece of herself hidden.

Maya climbed into the bed and cuddled up to her. "Where's Chloe?"

"Downstairs."

Tessa smiled. "Doc's probably making her breakfast. Do you like it here?"

"It's fun."

"Do you like Doc?"

She looked at Tessa and nodded. "Was my Daddy like Doc?"

"He loved you like Doc loves you." More than Patrick, but Maya didn't need to know that.

"Can he be my Daddy?"

"I don't know, baby. We'll see. Can you help Mommy go down the steps?"

Tessa wore one of Patrick's tees. She pulled on comfortable cotton shorts, which sat below her belly. It was getting hard to hide. For better or worse, she wouldn't need to after their meeting with Dr. Deb.

She used her crutches to reach the staircase. She handed the crutches to Maya to carry down. Then she sat on the floor and scooted down each step on her bottom.

Patrick appeared. "You should have called me to help you."

"This works."

Except for driving, she could take care of herself, but she needed help with the girls. Staying at Patrick's was more fun for them.

He walked up the steps and lifted her. "Will you ever let me take care of you?"

Did he mean down the steps or in a broader sense?

"I had to be independent."

"I know, but I'm here now."

He kissed her. It was sensual enough her body wanted him to carry her back to bed. There were five reasons that couldn't happen, although three of them were still asleep. Two were in the kitchen.

She relied on him to take her down the rest of the stairs and into the kitchen where Maya had dropped her crutches.

"Sit my lady and I'll serve you."

She would pretend to be helpless if it made him happy. Both girls finished eating and went to watch TV.

Patrick took her hand. "Tell me I didn't freak you out."

She shook her head. "Do you think Erica is okay that you said that?"

He looked serious. "That I love you?" Her heart sped up. "Yes, she wanted me to find love again. Please don't doubt, like Hannah. David only wants happiness for you. I'm okay if you don't love me, but only if it's the way you feel without thinking about David."

She took his hand. "You make it sound so easy. What about the kids?"

He sighed. "You mean Hannah. Today will be an ugly day, but she will not take away our happiness. You make me happy."

"You make me happier than I've been in six and a half years."

He smiled. "I'll take that for now." He kissed her before glancing at the time. "I need to get them up. I'm nervous."

"I know. Me too."

He disappeared. When Tessa heard grumbles, she hobbled onto the deck to avoid the teens before they left. She kept thinking they were on the verge of having their lives turned upside down.