37 - Dollar Discount

This is the second of a double update.

Tessa felt relieved as she walked away from his house. He had taken the news well. It was all her fault. Her plan was to take Plan B, but the plague prevented it.

When she was crying over the scholarship essay, she assumed her period was on its way. A week later, her breasts were tender, and she expected it. Afraid of running into someone she knew at any other store, she went to the Dollar Discount store. The first test she picked up was expired. She found an off brand test that was still good. The plus sign didn't surprise her. The fact she didn't freak out did.

She resigned herself to accept any response from Patrick. If he didn't want to claim it, she'd raise it alone. Instead, he asked her to meet his kids and kissed her. She scanned the beach for Kelsey and her girls. She froze. Kelsey was talking to Kristi.

Kristi looked up. "Oh, Tessa. Where were you?"

"I went to talk to a friend."

"Anyone I know?"

She smiled. "I assume you must know everyone on The Point."

Kristi smirked. "You're more secure than Fort Knox. I'll find out. I always do."

Tessa smiled genuinely. "I have no doubt you will."

Kristi laughed and walked away.

Kelsey whispered, "What was that about?"

"She didn't like me, but has been nicer lately. She's also his close friend."

"What happened?"

"He wants to date."

"Date?"

"Yeah. So even if it doesn't last, he can acknowledge the baby."

"He wants too?"

She nodded. It felt surreal. She didn't know how to feel. "He wants to talk tonight. Do you mind if I leave you with the girls?"

Kelsey laughed. "That used to be my job."

She smiled again and walked towards the water where Chloe and Abbie were playing. The beach was crowded. Nick, Ben and Kevin walked out of the water. Abbie and Chloe ran to Kevin. He greeted them by name, but his eyes were on Sophie. A shiver went down Tessa's spine at the thought of Kevin and Chloe sharing a sibling.

When she walked back towards the blanket where Kelsey sat, she saw him walking down the beach. His sunglasses hid his eyes, but she was certain he was looking at her.

She smiled because Kristi appeared at his side. Dropping to the blanket, she whispered, "He's here. To our right, standing with Kristi."

"Nice."

Tessa felt another shiver. She glanced at him wearing his shorts and tee. She knew what was under those shorts. The heat on her face wasn't from the sun. As she glanced around, trying not to look at Patrick too long, her eyes locked on a familiar face. The pregnant woman walking down the beach with a tall, attractive man and a toddler looked like Jennifer Dixon. Just as the picture on Megan's fridge had looked like the well-known designer.

Megan waved to them and they walked right over to her. The man set up a beach chair and helped the pregnant woman into it before following the little one down the beach.

Megan said, "Tessa, come meet my best friend for as long as I can remember."

Tessa stood. Jen said, "I already know Tessa."

Megan said, "Did you meet at The Landing?"

She could lie, but she promised Patrick the truth. Tessa's voice squeaked. "No."

Jennifer said, "Former life, but you can call me Jen. No one calls me Jennifer."

Tessa was at a loss for words. "But Sterling?"

"Is living in San Francisco. You weren't the only one who left New York for a better life."

"Are you still designing?"

Jen nodded. "Part time. My husband, Alex, is a contractor. He built Megan's house. I work for a lot of his clients and with a designer in Portland. How did you end up in Maine?"

"I grew up here in South Portland."

"If only I had known. I was so homesick for Maine back then."

"I'm shocked you aren't with Sterling."

Tessa watched as Megan walked away. It felt as if she was giving them privacy. "Sterling cheated on me. I came home to design that house way down the beach and locked horns with the bossy hot builder who swept me off my feet and convinced me I belonged here. Abbie was one, so it was about a year after you left. I worked too hard back then. I should have gone to the funeral. I'm sorry."

Tessa looked at her sandy feet. "No one knows about him."

"You lived through a nightmare. Are you happy?"

She thought of her girls and Patrick and their baby. "I'm working on it. Do you live on The Point?"

"We live on Sandpiper, right behind Megan. My parents own The Landing. I grew up above it."

Patrick lived across the street from Jen. Her tongue almost tripped up when she tried to sound casual. "I know some of the Bennetts."

Jen nodded as if it made perfect sense. Together they walked down to her girls who were helping to bury Jen's husband with sand. Megan had her little girl.

From his burial site, Alex said, "Hey Sophie, I'm glad we finally have a warm day. I've missed our little tradition."

Megan laughed. "Sophie and Alex are best friends. Alex, this is my friend Tessa. Maya and Chloe are hers."

"I'd offer my hand if I could. You have some hard workers." Tessa felt someone behind her. Alex said, "Hey, doc. You aren't surfing."

Patrick said, "Not today. Looks like you're in a bind."

Alex laughed. "Nah. I'll go in without a wetsuit."

Tessa said, "Kevin was in."

Patrick laughed and sent shivers up her spine. "He's not from southern California."

Tessa turned and smiled. He was closer than she realized. He stepped back, as startled as she was.

He said, "So your work is done on the scholarship?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Do you know the outcome?"

"No. You weren't required to pick Hannah."

Tessa turned to see Kristi next to her. Had Patrick seen her approach. Kristi said, "They had better."

Tessa said, "I can't tell you."

"Well, Julia told me your meeting went very well. Rachel knows Hannah. So you would be the only holdout."

Tessa shifted her feet. "What I can tell you is we followed the criteria. Didn't you develop it?"

Patrick jumped in. "Kristi, you promised me you would accept the committee's decision."

While he was scolding Kristi, Tessa walked away. Megan came back with the girls.

"You were smart to leave. She likes to push his buttons. When I left, she was accusing him of doing something with you."

Tessa looked up and saw Patrick leading Kristi down the beach away from the crowd.