81 - Sisters

Tessa wasn't sure why she was so adamant about giving Hannah a gift. She should have discussed it with Patrick first, but knew he would tell her not to. He had been angry when Hannah returned her graduation gift. A gift belonged to the receiver, so it was Hannah's right. She did it to send a message, but Tessa had already received her message loud and clear.

Patrick surprised her when he threw his hands up. "I'm sorry. I just don't want her to hurt you again."

"She'll probably complain if I didn't give her a gift. She may think this is not enough or even too much. Until she accepts me, this is just one of the many storms we'll weather. Until we don't and she wins."

"Don't say that. I refuse to let a child decide my future for me."

Tessa put her hand on her belly. "One is. I need to go."

He leaned over and kissed her. "Let me know how things go with your sisters." She nodded. "We're good, right?"

She smiled. "Enjoy the party."

She had been making decisions on her own for so long. Aside from this involving his daughter, they weren't at a place where they consulted each other, or were they? As they spent more time together, their lives were becoming more intertwined.

She couldn't be angry with him. She had her own problems - her two sisters. Her mother would not take no for an answer. She even suggested she bring Patrick. Her sisters had complained David was too old. Patrick was older. He was too rich. Patrick didn't come from money, but he earned a healthy salary. He worked too much, Patrick didn't, and he didn't bring his job home with him.

As soon as she walked into the house, Sarah approached her. "You look good. Have you finally gone back to work?" Her middle sister couldn't understand why she gave up her career.

Sarah dressed in business casual. Tessa wore a summer dress, but it was not as long or flowing as Paula's natural fiber skirt.

"No. I'm focusing on the girls. They've been enjoying the beach this summer."

Maya looked at her aunts cautiously from her grandmother's arms. Chloe, who lacked shyness, said, "We go to Doc's beach."

"What beach is that?" Sarah asked.

"Who's Doc?" Paula asked.

Kim said, "Chloe's talking about Tessa's boyfriend, the doctor."

"Boyfriend!" Paula said.

"Doctor?" Sarah looked interested.

Tessa nodded. "I've been seeing a man, and he's an oral surgeon."

Paula said, "I don't believe in all these kids getting their wisdom teeth out. It's a gimmick created by the orthodontists and the oral surgeons. They're in cahoots."

"Patrick performs important surgeries to repair injuries after accidents and other deformities."

Sarah said, "Is he divorced? Divorced men can be trouble. Good luck to the woman who ends up with my ex."

Kim said, "He's lost his wife."

"Mom, how come you know so much about him and didn't tell us."

"It was up to Tessa to tell you." She patted Maya's head. "Girls, go find your cousins."

Maya pointed. "They're on their phones."

It surprised Tessa Paula allowed her son to have a phone with corporate greed and all.

"Go find your grandfather. He's in the garden with your uncle."

They ran off, as comfortable here as they were at Patrick's house. She felt her sister's eyes on her. "Sarah, I'm guessing you don't tell us about every man you date."