70 - Living

Double update today.

Because Patrick left the office late, when he pulled into his driveway, Tessa's car was in front of his house. After he parked in the garage, he walked out to meet them. He pulled her to him, but released her just as quick. He wouldn't kiss her on the driveway for her kids and his neighbors to see.

"Were you waiting long?"

"Not here. The beach was too cold, so Megan was kind enough to invite us over."

He looked up to the sky and frowned. "I didn't notice. Was it cloudy all day?"

"No, just this afternoon. We had some sun. I saw Kevin and Hannah on the beach."

He frowned. "Did anything happen?"

"Kevin said hi."

"And Hannah."

"She glared at me. Megan said her two friends are nice kids."

He nodded. He wasn't concerned with her friends as much as the boyfriend. He and Hannah were alike, they each weren't happy with the other's relationship.

"I have pizza. I hope you're hungry girls."

When they entered his house, he yelled up the stairs. "Hello, anyone home." Silence. He took out his phone. "Now, I try to find them."

"I like knowing where they are all the time."

"I didn't realize it, but those days were a lot easier."

He sighed, feeling tired. He finally forced Hannah to talk to him the night before. He had to wait until she came home at eleven, which was past his bedtime. By the time they finished talking, it was midnight. She finally agreed to go to counseling if he went too. Her goal for his counseling was to deal with why he was using sex to get over his grief. He almost choked on his own saliva when she said it.

"Hannah, I don't know what you think you know about me, but it isn't true." He was prepared to lie or stretch the truth to protect Tessa.

"Dad, I saw that woman all over you at the bar in Hawaii. Then you left with her and we couldn't find you for like three hours."

"You couldn't find me because I was surfing."

It was true. Things moved quickly in her room. When it was over, he was spooked. He probably wasn't with her for more than thirty minutes, and then he spent the rest of the afternoon trying to forget it on his board. He stayed away from the bar that night and they left the resort the next morning.

"I saw you go into that cottage..."

"I explained for Gabby's present. Why are you following me around The Point?"

"Because you never go for walks."

"Except when I do. I walk over to Kristi and Dan's and poker."

"What about that woman you dated?"

"We went to dinner, but I told you she didn't like kids, so I stopped seeing her. Plus, I didn't like her as much as Tessa who I had already met."

"At Dr. Korra's party."

He nodded. "I danced with her."

"You used to dance with Mom."

"Sweetie, I used to do a lot of things with Mom. I won't stop doing them. I can't stop watching movies or eating dinner or walking on the beach or..."

"It's not the same."

"It is. It's living life. Think of the things you used to do with Mom that you do with Lexie or Ryder."

"But she was my mother and not my wife."

"She was my best friend, and now Kristi is my best friend. Are you going to hate Kristi for being my friend?"

"How will Kristi feel if you let her become your best friend?"

"Her name is Tessa. Kristi is happy for us."

He wanted to be best friends with Tessa, who watched him as he sent texts to his kids. Patrick looked up from his phone.

"Kevin's coming. Hannah isn't. She agreed to go see a grief counselor if I go too."

"Do you need to go?" Tessa looked uncomfortable.

"No, I'm fine. I only agreed to get her to go. She'll be disappointed. She thinks a professional will tell me not to date."

"Would they?"

He laughed. "Of course, not. We're moving on and healing together. There is nothing wrong with what we're doing."

After they ate the pizza, they walked for ice cream. Patrick carried a container with two slices for Gabby and held Tessa's hand. Her other hand held onto Maya. Chloe took Kevin's hand.

Kevin asked, "Dad, can I meet my friends after?"

"You know the rule. Ten o'clock."

Tessa asked, "Is that every night?"

"It is now that school's out."

Gabby greeted them with a smile, and her eyes widened at the sight of the pizza. She said, "Tessa, try the cake batter since you like cake."

Patrick winked at his daughter. She was trying. Once they each had cones, Kevin said goodbye to the girls and left. They sat at a picnic table to eat their ice cream.

Maya asked, "Mommy, can we walk for ice cream at our house?"

Tessa shook her head. "It's too far."

"Doc, you're lucky."

"I am lucky." He smiled and squeezed Tessa's hand.

Back in front of his house, he reluctantly let go of her hand as she was ready to leave. "Can I come over tomorrow night? We need a date night."

"Maybe Hannah's right."

"Absolutely not! I enjoy talking to you too."

She laughed and turned the key in the ignition. She drove away, but it was still early. The worst part about dating a woman with young children was their bedtime.

Keep scrolling.