75 - Happier

Tessa spoke into her phone. "Can Gabby babysit on Saturday night?"

Patrick had called her to talk about his appointment and Kristi's invitation. A tingle of excitement reminded her she had forgotten what it was like to socialize as a couple.

"You don't want to send them to your mother's for a sleepover?"

Was he suggesting a sleepover? "I don't think one appointment will make Hannah suddenly like me."

"I told the doctor."

"Told the doctor what?"

"About our secret, so she can help us."

It was too soon to tell anyone. Maybe after her ultrasound. There was so much they hadn't talked about. Did they want to find out if it was a boy or girl? Somehow there were always other things to talk about.

Tessa refocused him. "So about Gabby?"

"I'll ask her. Can we plan to spend more time together over the weekend?"

"With kids or without?"

"Both. Maybe I'll come over on Friday and we can go to the beach together on Sunday."

She agreed, because she wanted to see him more.

Tessa slipped into another summer dress. Patrick insisted on picking her up like a proper date. He arrived with Gabby and looked nice in his shorts and collared Polo shirt. He also smelled intoxicating.

"Did you just shower?"

He nodded. "It was hot mowing the lawn."

It surprised her he didn't hire someone. His time was limited, but he had time to make her body soar the night before. Just looking at his broad chest and narrow waist, she remembered the feel of her hands on his hips and other more intimate places. She was one-hundred percent in lust with him.

She consciously tried not to sound too anal as she gave Gabby instructions to feed the girls and put them to bed. Tessa didn't feel uncomfortable leaving Gabby alone in her house. Hannah would be a different story. She would probably go through her drawers. Not that Tessa had anything to hide, except her prenatal vitamins.

Gabby smiled at her. "We'll be fine. Don't worry. Have fun."

"Thanks Gabs." Patrick kissed her forehead as Tessa kissed her girls.

Once in his car, he turned to her. "I'm proud of you."

"Why?"

"When we first met, you never left the girls."

"Maybe I have a reason to now."

She had changed. Her guilt over the past had lessened. Being with Patrick was turning her into someone new. She wasn't Tess, David's wife. She was older and wiser. She would be a mother for a long time. As her mother would say, it wasn't quantity but quality. The same could be true about dating.

She asked, "Have you spoken to Hannah?"

It disappointed Patrick that Hannah avoided him after work on Friday.

"She didn't say much. Just that Dr. Deb was okay."

"Did you say Dr. Deb?"

"Yeah. Do you know her?"

Tessa nodded. "Her family are my neighbors. Rita is her stepmother. Oh no! You told her about the baby!"

He reached over and squeezed her hand. "She's bound by confidentiality. I couldn't tell you if Rita was in my chair, and she can't tell Rita she sees my daughter."