66 - Cute

This is the second of a double update.

It was just the two of them in the kitchen again. Patrick fed her another spoonful. Just as she was about to lick her lips, his lips captured her sweet ones. He didn't linger.

"That was awkward before," she said.

"They need to get used to it." He smiled.

"Poor Gabby."

"You were the one with your hand in my shirt."

Her cheeks showed the heat from his teasing.

"Why did you bring Gabby?"

"To watch the girls while we talked. I was going to take you for a drive, but your house was empty. I have to drive my family to Logan on Wednesday. No more days to ourselves until September."

"September's a long time away."

"Your stomach won't be flat." He put his hand over her stomach below her belly button.

"I have my first appointment on Thursday."

"If you make some on Wednesdays, I'll go too."

"Tessa!" Gabby called from down the hall. Tessa walked towards her. "They're ready for kisses."

Gabby appeared. Patrick asked, "Are you okay, Gabs."

She nodded. "I'll be in the car. Don't be too long."

He shook his head and smiled. She was his daughter.

Tessa appeared. "Where's Gabby?"

"The car. She didn't want to see this."

He kissed her. Her taste and floral scent was familiar. The familiarity felt right, although it was different.

He dragged his lips off hers. "I'm glad you believed me. I'm sorry about Hannah."

"I know."

He kissed her again and groaned as he walked away from her. He couldn't leave his daughter waiting in the car. If the girls hadn't been there, he wouldn't have been content to just eat ice cream. Maybe Hannah wasn't that far off, because he liked sex with Tessa.

If he could get his children to accept her, he wanted to raise their baby together. He wasn't counting on true love, but strong like would be good enough for him the second time around.

As he drove home, Gabby said, "I guess everything is okay."

"For now."

Her voice was quiet. "I didn't expect you to be like that."

"Like what?" In heat, with their kiss?

"You know, teasing and cute together."

"Oh, right." That had felt right to him, and he smiled at the memory.

"What did Hannah say, anyway?"

He knew she could go home and ask her cousins. He sighed. "Just that I only like her for one thing. It's not true. I like her in a lot of ways."

"Dad, I saw that kiss. Are you going to deny that you, you know?"

"Gabs, your sister's words upset Tessa, I can't deny anything. We're adults."

"Did you kiss mom like that?"

She was sick for so long. Their lovemaking had been different. It was as if he was making a recording of their love to keep with him for when she was gone. It had been a long time since he had devoured his wife with his mouth. When they were young, he had.

"Not with three kids around. It wasn't my intention for you to walk in on us."

"Yeah, I learned quickly that I better announce I'm entering a room."

He laughed. "I'll try to control myself."

"It's bad enough that I have to see Hannah go at it with what's his name."

He frowned. "Are they kissing a lot?"

"More than a lot."

"And you don't like him?"

"He's not good enough for her, and he encourages her to be crazy. It's really stupid, because he's the one with sister-cousins."

Patrick groaned. "Don't remind me."

His mother must have been watching for them, because she met them in the garage.

"Is everything okay?"

He smiled. "I charmed her."

"Good. Gabby, the kids went to the beach."

She sighed. "I have an exam tomorrow. I need to go study."

"What is it, Gabs?"

"Biology."

Patrick smiled, his undergrad major. "Let me know if you need help studying. I think I still remember a few things."

"Okay, Dad. Thanks." She kissed his cheek.

"Thank you for coming and helping."

"Dad, they are really cute and sweet. I had to tell Maya you were her mother's boyfriend. She compared you to Kristoff and Anna."

"Who?"

"Dad, you better catch up."

Dawn said, "Patrick from the movie Frozen."

"Oh. I guess I am behind. Mom, you knew?"

Dawn shook her head. "Everyone does."