31 - Google

This is the second of a double update.

It was hard for her to admit she was wrong, but Tessa hadn't been hitting on Dan or Peter or Patrick, even though they danced. She had bumped into Julia, who had joined the scholarship committee. Julia was the only volunteer who knew Erica.

"So I trust you to honor Erica with the scholarship committee."

"We will. Rachel is a lawyer and knows Dr. Bennett. Tessa Simon is smart and professional. She had a career in advertising before she moved to Maine. That's why the book fair did so well."

Every time Kristi turned around, someone was mentioning Tessa. A few months before, she was Megan's secretive new friend. Suddenly, she was speaking up at school board meetings, running committees, having coffee at The Landing, and dancing with Patrick. The last one was a one off, because Patrick hadn't mentioned her since. Kristi was the one who kept bringing her up.

It was a modern world, and secrets were never really secrets with Google. Except for some that involved motives, like Megan's and Peter's. There were more Tessa Simons than she had hoped, but she had plenty of time. It was a school day and Dan was away again. Eventually, she found her name in an obituary for David Simon. She lost her husband before her second daughter was born. Googling the husband's family, she discovered they were wealthy. So that was the reason Tessa didn't have to work. Maybe her motives for secrecy were just self preservation. It wasn't like she was a black widow. Certainly not the way the man had died.

The next day, she walked into The Landing and Jen was sitting at a table with Eliza. She waved, and once she had her coffee, she walked over and sat down.

"She's getting so big. Are you feeling okay?"

Jen rested her hand on her baby bump. "Perfect. I'll be happy when this little guy is here. Alex is going out of his mind at the thought of a son."

Kristi smiled. "Dan was like a peacock when Ben was born. Hey, did you know the Simons when you were in New York?"

"Which ones?" Eliza distracted Jen, She had enough of her muffin and was yelling. "Bampy!" Rick was too busy for his granddaughter.

"Tessa?"

Jen nodded. "I did the nursery. I haven't thought about her in years, but I did a lot of work for her mother-in-law. It was so tragic." As if coming out of deep thought, she looked up. "Why do you ask?"

"Because she lives here. She's friends with Megan."

"I guess her youngest would be Abbie's age."

Kristi nodded. "They're in the same class. Best friends."

"Wow! Small world."

"The thing is, she is very secretive. No one knows her background. Some think she's divorced, others have said she had the girls on her own. You know me. I'm nosey."

Jen laughed. "You don't say!"

She chuckled, not afraid to laugh at herself. "I figured it out, but I'm not a gossip, so don't say anything about what you know. Just don't be surprised if you run into her here or around town."

Jen nodded. "Does Megan know?"

"Nope. It feels good to keep a secret from her for a change."

Jen laughed.