73 - Rambling

Double update today.

The office was small with a sign, 'In Session - Please have a seat in the waiting area'. He felt his gut churned and told himself there was nothing to be nervous about. Was it wrong to be counting on this woman to fix their problems?

Was he failing as a father? What if she told him he was selfish to be seeing Tessa? A part of him wanted to walk out the door, but Hannah needed him to see it through. The door opened, and a teen walked out. She was slumped with her head down. She looked like what his assistant referred to as goth.

A woman followed her. She dressed in business casual and looked younger than him. She held out her hand. "Dr. Bennett."

He gave her a lackluster smile. "Patrick, please. My parenting is far from professional."

She nodded and gestured him into her office. Once she sat, she said, "As you know, I'm Dr. Landry. Dr. Deb. So tell me why you're here."

He told her about Erica's illness and death. He included the promises he made, including finding someone to share his life with. As he talked, he reminded himself of the time, Tessa told him about David.

"Have you found that someone?"

"I found someone I want to spend time with. Unfortunately, Hannah is convinced her mother would be very unhappy. Honestly, I thought we were all doing okay, but Hannah clearly isn't. We were doing everything they told us. We talk about her. My other two don't understand why she's behaving the way she is. I know she misses her mother, but I don't know what to do for her other than what I've been doing. I don't want to send her to school and worry about her state of mind. I'm rambling. I'm sorry."

She smiled. "Rambling is a pleasant change from adolescents who clam up."

He nodded. "I see a lot of adolescents, but I just put them to sleep."

She smiled at his joke, and he let out a long breath. "Can I ask you, how serious you are with this woman?"

He didn't know how to answer. "Serious about becoming serious. She experienced her own loss." He thought about the time they spent together on Saturday night. "I like her more and more every time I see her."

"So you could have a long-term relationship?"

"I think it's safe to say we will have some kind of relationship long term." She raised her eyebrow as if asking him to go on. "I know I'm not technically your patient, but you're bound by confidentiality, right?" She nodded. "Eventually, Hannah... well, all three will need to know, but she's expecting. So even if the relationship doesn't work, my kids will have to accept a half-sibling. If it does work, then they would have two step-sisters."

He gave her professionalism points for not showing any reaction. "Have the children met each other? Do they get along?"

"They have, and Hannah wants nothing to do with them. They're young, six and eight."

"When do you expect to break the big news?"

"I'm not sure. No one knows. I don't trust my kids to not tell their friends, and then word will spread. We hoped to wait, but I imagine I need to tell Hannah before she leaves. Could you guide me?"

"I will do my best. I lost my mother when I was a teen. My father remarried and had more children. I understand the feelings that go with this situation. I'm close to my sister and brother now, even with our age difference. I will help your daughter. I can tell you to love her, which is what she needs. Is there anything else I need to know?"

He shook her head. "She'll tell you I don't like her boyfriend. I don't love him, but my only genuine concern is that she isn't as stupid as her old dad. My baby won't derail my life. I've suggested birth control." He ran his hands through his hair. "I really miss my wife."

"Of course you do. Make sure she knows that. I can see Hannah on Friday morning at ten."

He made the appointment, and she stood. Their time was up.

He expected it to be worse. Rehashing the conversation, he went for his shirts and their groceries. Sometimes it felt like groundhog day. The difference was it was summer vacation and his kids were home. He had missed his coffee with Kristi because of the meeting. They hadn't had coffee in two weeks, and he missed his friend.

Keep scrolling