24 - Flirting

Double update today.

Kristi took a deep breath when she stepped on to the sand. It was the weekend, so Dan was back focused on their family. Patrick was right, she had been crazy to think he was having an affair. She scanned the crowd. Jack was running around and scooped his youngest into his arms. Alex waved to her. Smiling, she remembered when he was single.

Dan didn't look like those two, but he was gorgeous inside. He had pursued her when she was not interested in men. She had grown tired of one-sided infatuation, after meeting men as gorgeous as Jack or Alex or Peter, and instantly falling in love. Unfortunately, the hotties met her and thought, friend. She had a string of handsome friends who told her all about their fun with other, more beautiful women.

When Dan showed interest, she refused to add another friend to her list. She was working for the bank in a boring job. The only thing she liked about it was her paycheck. At twenty-five, she didn't know what she wanted to do with her life.

Dan was always around, even when she put him off. If her boss dismissed her hard work, he would tell her a joke, so she'd feel better. When she was craving something sweet in the afternoon, he'd appear with chocolate. He even pushed her to think about her career and set some goals.

As much as she tried not to become friends with another guy, he had maneuvered his way in. It was hard to say who was more surprised when he finally asked her out, her because her friends didn't date her or him because she agreed.

Sixteen years later, he was still her best friend. That was why she missed him when he was away. Just that morning she exploded over shoes all over the mudroom. It had nothing to do with the shoes, mostly. It was the stress of the damn project Dan was knee deep in. That and the fact that she had full-blown PMS.

Her man told her she was right and ordered the kids to pick up their shoes and boots. Then he held her. She drew from his calmness and relaxed. When he whispered, he loved her and a few suggestions on how he could show her later, she laughed. She couldn't live without him.

As she walked up the beach, that thought took her to Patrick. Part of why she cared so much was because it would break her beyond repair if anything happened to Dan. It amazed her how Patrick had survived. Even Jack healed. She thought of the little girl's words about her daddy being in heaven. Even Megan's friend had gone on. Or had she? Maybe her defense was her silence about her past.

Shaking her head, she didn't want to feel sympathy for her. That would mean she'd have to ignore the vibe she had about her from the very beginning. She recognized her car at Megan's house when she left for her walk. Tessa felt like a threat. To what, she didn't know. Kristi's friendship with Megan was strong. It survived the return of Megan's best friend and Megan's secrets.

When she passed Patrick and Kevin surfing, she waved, although they didn't see her. She'd never understand why they liked it. Looking as hunky as usual, Peter stood nearby with the two little girls. Abbie ran to her and gave her a big hug.

"Look at Kevin!"

Kristi chuckled, Abbie just might have a crush. She exchanged a few words with Peter about the beautiful day and their plans for the weekend before continuing her walk.

She was lucky to walk on the beach any time. The sounds of the surf and gulls were home. This was her home. The move from Chicago was the best decision they made. She told the new Point residents from Chicago that earlier when she walked up for coffee. It was nice to chat about the windy city, but she didn't miss it.

Megan and her friend were ahead talking to Dan. Tessa was smiling and laughing at something he said.

She winked at Megan, "He's looks hot today."

Megan rolled her eyes, because she was always flirting with Peter. Dan smiled at her and Tessa frowned.

Dan said, "Kris, you can window shop all you want. Have you met Tessa?"

She nodded and smiled, but the woman looked as if Kristi was the one flirting with her husband. Except her husband was dead, and Kristi was the only one who knew it.

Keep scrolling.