21 - Noontime appointment

This is the second of a double update.

Pacing in a circle from her kitchen to living room to dining room back through her kitchen, Tessa wished for his phone number. She had thought of calling his office and leaving a message, but she couldn't quite word it right. His noontime appointment is canceled. She suspected he would show up, anyway. She considered going out, but how long would he wait. Then she remembered his kiss and felt weak. She told herself plenty of people had adult relationships.

Maybe if he wasn't the most popular widower in town. What did he want with her? Somehow she suspected he wanted more than she could give, and not just physically. She had been with more than one man, but the last one was the only one she loved.

Had she loved him the first time they spent the night together? She was too young to know. She had been infatuated with him. Similarly, she didn't know why she caught his attention. He was older and wealthy and far more successful. She was barely making it in the city when David swept her off her feet. Damn him for filling her thoughts when another man was arriving at any moment.

Could she tell him she knew grief and loss too? Shaking her head, he'd ask for details. She couldn't talk about the details.

She jumped when her doorbell chimed. He was down by her garage. Looking down at her pants and sweater, she hoped she looked alright.

Opening the door to him, his good looks struck her. He stood with a warm smile and a brown handled takeout bag. There was no trace of nervousness in his confident grin.

Stepping aside, so he could enter, his scent filled her space. Her father was the only male who visited regularly, and he smelled of Irish Spring. Patrick had an intoxicatingly male scent that made her lightheaded. He probably didn't need to use anesthesia on his female patients. They probably swooned and passed out.

That last thought came to her as she followed him upstairs into her kitchen.

"I'm glad you're smiling. I was half afraid you wouldn't invite me in."

"Was that an option?" Was she joking?

"Not if you wanted this."

Stealth like, he pulled her into his arms and pressed his lips onto hers. When she parted her lips, he deepened the kiss, and she felt his tongue. At some point, she thought of his friend. If she was keeping score, she knew his lips in a way the other woman certainly shouldn't.

He asked, "What's wrong?" She was in his arms and he was looking down at her.

"Your friend. What does she know?"

"Nothing. Our relationship is private."

"She was acting strange at the PTA meeting. She treats me like a threat."

He sighed, "I don't see why. She told me you volunteered."

"Do you mind? Is that alright?"

He nodded. "I trust you to honor the integrity of her memorial."

"I don't know why I did. What you shared was still fresh in my mind and then the way Kristi described her. I wanted to help. But now with you, I feel like I've tainted her memory."

"Don't say that. I promised her I would live my life. Truthfully, I know she would have liked you."

"I just kissed her husband."

He pulled her tight against his body. "No, because she's gone and wishing won't bring her back. I enjoy kissing you."

As if to prove it, he brought his lips to hers again. She felt weak in the knees as she leaned into him. The attraction was there. Her body was no longer dormant. Her brain was telling her no, except her endorphins, which were celebrating.

Patrick's mouth moved off her lips towards her ear. After a groan, he said, "Lunch will be cold, if we keep this up."

He squeezed her before releasing her. She immediately missed his strength. She had been strong on her own for so long, but she couldn't give in. If she let him in, she would have to face all the pain she had been sweeping away.

"Lunch sounds good. What did you bring?"

He unpacked the bag. "Sandwiches from Mario's. Chicken and eggplant. I'll eat either."

She would too, and could envision five minutes of each pushing the other to choose. "How about we each take half?"

"Perfect. Is that how you negotiate with your girls?"

"I suppose it's harder to cut things into three equal pieces. Two works."

He laughed. "I was never good at that. It's not an issue now they're older. Do yours get along?"

"Like best friends most of the time." She knew she should ask him a question. "Are you from Maine?"

He shook his head. "California. We came east for my surgical residency."

She focused on the word 'we' and wondered how long they were together. She couldn't ask about his relationship or he'd ask about hers.

He asked, "Where did you grow up?"

"Here. Actually, South Portland. My parents still live there, although they spent the winter in Florida."

"Could your girls stay with your mother, so I could take you out?"

She took her time chewing before answering. "Let's stick to lunch. Where can this really go?"