59 - Layers

Tessa hadn't heard from Patrick since Friday afternoon. He had a house full of guests and a party to set up. She offered to come early to help, but felt relieved he didn't take her up on it. On Friday, she had spent more hours than necessary trying to find the right graduation gift for Hannah. She wanted something of value to show she was invested, but she wanted her to love it. The simple thing would be a gift card, but she wanted an actual gift. She never shopped in Portland but wanted something unique she wouldn't find at the mall. She browsed a boutique on Exchange Street. The jewelry counter caught her eye. There were some nice sterling silver handcrafted bracelets. She recognized the logo from cards that sat on the counter at The Landing for handcrafted fine jewelry. It must have been fine, because it was also expensive.

She chose a bracelet made with colorful sea glass. The smooth cloudy glass would be a piece of Maine that Hannah could take to Boston with her. It was also something she could return if she hated it; Tessa assured herself as she second guessed her purchase.

She spent time wrapping it. She wasn't very creative or crafty, but she had a talent for wrapping. When she had finished, it looked professional.

"Oh, pretty!" Maya's eyes were big when she saw the wrapped gift.

"It's for Hannah. Please don't touch it."

"Why is she getting a present?"

"Because she's graduated from high school and we're going to her party."

Maya frowned. "But Mommy, she doesn't like us."

Maya was quiet and reserved, but observant. "Hannah doesn't know us. She misses her Mommy and is probably sad."

"Do I miss my Daddy?"

Tessa was at a loss for words. "I think you do, but you don't remember him."

"Does Daddy know Hannah's Mommy in heaven?"

"I hope so, baby, but I don't know."

Wouldn't it be nice if David and Erica were cheering them on together?

Tessa had texted both Rachel and Megan to find out when they planned to arrive at the party. She said it was so her kids would have friends, but she was the one who needed the friends. She hadn't seen Rachel and Korra since word spread of her and Patrick, but she trusted them to be supportive.

Unable to hold off any longer, she loaded the girls into her car. For the first time since her pregnancy, she actually felt nauseous. Just her luck she would throw up at Patrick's house in the middle of Hannah's party. At least, she knew her way to his master bathroom.

When she pulled up to the curb, the girls jumped out of the car and ran towards the house. They felt at home because of their previous visits. She took her time getting out of the car. Sending the girls ahead paid off because by the time she walked up the drive, Patrick was walking towards her.

His eyes took in her dress. It was longer than the one she wore to dinner. He smiled. "You look sick. No one will bite."

"Are you sure?"

He laughed, but she hadn't been joking. He reached for her hand and she wanted him to hug her, but he didn't. "Rachel and Korra are inside. They were looking for you. Are you ready to meet my mother?"

"Can we skip it?"

"Nope. I met yours."

She sighed. "Okay, but don't leave me."

He laughed. Nothing felt funny to Tessa.

The house was not as crowded as she expected based on the cars lining the street. There were a few people in the kitchen, but the backyard was full of people. Patrick took the gift from her and placed it with some others. "You didn't have to."