44 - Her

Kristi was sorting through the bowls and plates left behind at the party. Dan and Peter were delivering grills and tables back to their owners. The annual party had been a success. The weather was beautiful and most of the crowd stayed late into the evening. Those with little ones left first.

Poor Jen looked more tired than Eliza when they walked through Megan's back yard. Thinking of Jen, her mind went to Tessa. Truthfully, she had thought of very little else since her walk with Patrick. Did he know what he was doing? She was pretty, so maybe it was just a lust thing. He had stopped short of saying he slept with her, but she knew he had. It was written all over his face. Did Tessa know she had lured the most eligible guy in town to her bed? Kristi knew a few divorce women who would be jealous as hell.

She tried not to think about what she knew, but it was hard. Those articles about her husband being missing for days were awful. She had seen similar stories on the news, but they usually were the good ones when the person was found alive. Tessa wasn't so lucky. After six plus years, she deserved a little happiness, and it appeared as if Patrick was willing to provide it.

She heard a knock on her door and was surprised to see Hannah on the other side. She wore her ice cream shack tee shirt.

Kristi smiled. "If you're delivering ice cream, I'll take it."

The girl forced a laugh, and Kristi was certain she knew the reason for her visit.

Hannah's face looked disgusted. "You said you didn't like her."

She could pretend she didn't know who 'her' was but didn't think it would serve a purpose. "I was wrong. In fact, I recently changed my mind."

"Because she's dating my dad."

Kristi shook her head. "Before I even knew about that. Your dad did a good job of keeping me in the dark. Truthfully, she had good reason to not like me very much."

"What? Everyone likes you."

Kristi laughed. She knew that wasn't true. "Well, first I wasn't nice to her, and then she was skeptical of my relationship with your dad."

"She was jealous?"

"Maybe a little, or at least questioning it."

Hannah frowned. "But you're married!"

"Sweetheart, I know that and you know that, but not all married people are faithful. Tessa didn't know me, and the friendship I have with your dad is unusual."

"I know, but I don't want him to like anyone and especially not her."

Kristi knew her role. "You know she might be perfect for him. They both lost their spouses, so they can care about each other and love their wife and husband too. Even if your dad decides he loves her, he will still love your mother and you and Gabby and Kevin."

"But he'll love her kids."

"I'll admit that part surprised me, but he already likes those girls. They're cute, and it's not like he's going to have a baby. Those two are already in school."

"I don't like it."

"I know. It's new and different. You should give it a chance. Look at Rory, she's happy her dad is happy."

"Yeah, and her dad had a baby."

"Well, her dad is younger than yours." Although Maddie was older than Tessa when she had JP. Kristi would trust Patrick not to be stupid.

Hannah sneered. "I don't have to like this and I won't. He's been a pain about the rules since he found out about Ryder. All along he's been going out behind my back."