30 - Party

Double update today.

When Patrick's first text arrived, she was fixing breakfast. She suspected he enjoyed something other than the burritos. She felt flush every time she thought of his mouth and how it made her feel. One minute she wanted to feel that way again, but the next she wanted to tell him she couldn't see him.

His second reminded her their date was a week away. She didn't know what she was most afraid of. When her phone buzzed after nine, she jumped. Expecting it to be Patrick, she considered not answering. It relieved her to see Kelsey's face on her phone screen.

As soon as she answered, Kelsey's cheery voice greeted her. "How are you? How are the girls?"

"We're fine. How's the city?"

"Busy, loud, exhilarating!"

Tessa used to feel that way, but relished her quiet existence. Kelsey had been their nanny. During Tessa's last six months in New York, Kelsey kept her going. Only Kelsey knew first hand her private suffering. She pushed everyone else away, but she needed Kelsey to care for Maya and newborn Chloe.

"I've been thinking about you. I miss the girls."

"Come for another visit."

"Maybe I will. Hey, Tessa, how are you doing?"

"I'm okay, really."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." She took a deep breath. "In fact, I've been sort of seeing someone."

"Really? What does sort of mean?"

She trusted Kelsey, and she had no one else to talk to. "We've had lunch together."

"Just lunch?"

"I've kissed him."

"Tessa! That's great! Do you like him?"

"I don't know. I enjoy kissing him, but then I remember David."

"Oh Tessa, David's gone and you need to think about yourself. You're not a nun, and if he's a red-blooded male, then he can inject some life into you."

"Kelsey, you are crazy! Why are you calling me on a Friday night?"

"Because it's early. I live in the city that never sleeps. I'm not crazy. You need to move forward and a horizontal dance is exactly what you need."

By the time she hung up, she was more confused than ever. She had one week, so she'd do what she was good at and sweep it away. She planned to enjoy vacation week with her girls.

Chloe woke early and bounced onto Tessa's bed. It was her best friend's birthday party.

"Abbie's six too!"

"Uh, huh. It's too early. The party is after lunch. It's not breakfast time yet."

After a failed attempt to settle Chloe down, Tessa reluctantly got out of bed. She started the day tired and felt disappointed when her devised plan failed. To avoid Megan's best friend, she arrived early with plans to drop Chloe and take Maya home.

Unfortunately, Abbie met them at the door. "Mommy has a place and a goodie bag for Maya too."

Megan said, "Tessa, I'm counting on you to help keep me sane. Seventeen teens, I can handle, but ten six-year-olds might do me in."

Tessa couldn't abandon Megan. She appreciated her friendship and her lack of prying. Maybe Kristi wasn't coming if Megan wanted Tessa to stay. Aside from worrying about Kristi, she was fixated on being a street away from Patrick. Was he home? Was he surfing?