7 - Mr. Social

Patrick was glad the storm came on Wednesday. He didn't have snow days, so he would have had to drive through the storm to work. His four-wheel drive was a necessity. People rarely missed their surgery appointments due to weather, but consultations and follow-ups were another story. It wasn't his nightmare this time. It also meant he could take advantage of the waves the storm brought.

He knew Kristi would still want to meet him, but The Landing was always busy on snow days. He didn't like the idea of being grilled about his date surrounded by neighbors.

His date had been fun. Noelle was interesting and had a sense of humor. After she admitted he surprised her by calling, he said, "I heard you ask if I was single."

"She didn't answer."

"Well, the timing was in your favor, I hope." He smiled. "I'm ready to date after a very long time."

"Divorced."

"Something like that." Why didn't he tell the truth? He didn't want to tell the whole story.

She nodded. "How long?"

He smiled. "Well, I stumbled into a date over Christmas, but you're the first woman I've called on the phone to ask out in over twenty years."

"Wow."

"So what about you? Ever married?"

She let out a nervous laugh. "No. I'm married to my career. You must be too."

"I work four ten-hour days. Although sometimes I stay longer."

"Making phone calls."

He laughed. "Yes. They're important."

"So how many years of school?"

"All total with my residency, fourteen."

"That's dedication."

"I'm a surgeon. I just specialize on the mouth and jaw."

His cases weren't as complicated as the ones he had as a resident in Boston, but they were important

"So what do you do for fun?"

That was an easy question. "I surf."

"What about in the winter?"

He smiled. "I surf."

It was odd because she never asked if he had children and he didn't volunteer.

"Wake up." He leaned over Kevin, who moaned.

"Is there school?" the words sounded like a groan.

"No, but it's eight. I just walked down to the beach. We can't miss these waves."

Surfing was the thing he and his son did together, and he felt stretched thin between the three of them. For a year, Hannah had his attention as they visited universities all over New England. Gabby went along to log driving hours and Kevin because he had no choice. As soon as Hannah left in the fall for whichever school she ultimately decided on, he would start all over again with Gabby. Poor Kevin was often left behind with Kristi. Once again, he owed his friend everything.

Kevin moaned. "Okay, but they better be good."

They most definitely were. Surfing in the snow was an experience. The only part of their bodies exposed to the elements was their faces, and the fine flakes of snow pelted them. Living so close to the ocean, they had the luxury of not staying out for a huge amount of time. When they returned to the garage with their boards, the electric heater warmed them as they peeled off their wetsuits. They were expensive along with their boards, but everything else about the sport was free. Plenty of families they knew had condos at Sugarloaf and paid a fortune for ski passes and equipment. He didn't ski. He surfed.