60 - Brat

Double update today.

Patrick had a sick feeling. Tessa couldn't leave fast enough, and she wouldn't look at him. Had he pushed her too far? It felt right holding her hand all day. He enjoyed being a couple again.

Unfortunately, he had a backyard full of guests, so he didn't have time to dissect what was wrong. He spent his evening forcing smiles. Eventually all the guests left except Kristi. She had been at the Harris', but came back to help clean up.

"What's wrong with you?" She reached up and pinched his cheek.

"Just tired."

"You and Tessa were getting along. I'm glad. Seriously."

He forced a smile and her eyes narrowed. He turned to bring more things in from outside. When he returned to the kitchen, his mother was suggesting they throw the food out. "It's been sitting out too long."

Just as the kitchen was back to normal, Hannah bounced down the stairs with Ryder, Lexie and his niece behind her. "Can I open my presents now?"

Patrick wanted to go upstairs and call Tessa, but nodded. Kristi sat down with a pad of paper to record each gift. She received money, gift cards, picture frames and other gifts. She picked up the gift from Tessa and Dawn commented on the beautiful wrapping. She opened the card and frowned. She opened the lid and tossed the box aside without reaction.

Kristi said, "What is it? I need to write it down."

"Jewelry from Dad's first girlfriend." Ryder handed the box to Kristi.

"Sasha!" Kristi looked confused.

Patrick glared at Hannah. "I never dated Sasha."

"I saw you go into her cottage."

He sighed. "To buy Gabby's sweet sixteen birthday present."

It was true, but after he decided on the pendant, they had a drink and conversation which led to a kiss. She was pretty and lonely like him. Chemistry was important and with Tessa he felt it immediately, with Sasha it fizzled. He just wasn't ready, and they were both mature enough to not let it be weird.

His sweet Gabby said, "Those are expensive. I love my birthday gift."

Feeling his anger rising, he said, "Hannah, that's a very nice gift?"

Kristi said, "Her work is beautiful."

Lexie said, "I wanted one."

Hannah said, "You can have it then. Pass me another present."

Patrick was ready to throw her friends out and send her to her room. He was about to pounce when he felt a hand on his. He turned to see his mother. She squeezed his hand and whispered, "Let me talk to her."

He turned to Kristi, who had a scowl on her face. She shook her head. By the time Hannah finished with presents and the last guests left, it was after eleven. He called Tessa, but she didn't answer. He wanted to drive over to her house, but she was probably asleep. Instead, he tossed and turned, unable to forget the look on her face. As soon as he woke, he quietly went to the garage and pulled on his wetsuit. Maybe he would feel better after time on the water.

By noon, he was frustrated, because she hadn't answered his calls or his texts. He was close to being accused of harassment. He sat in the kitchen cradling his head in his hands.

"What's wrong?" His mother asked.

"Tessa. Something spooked her."

"What do you mean?"

"She left the party early and wouldn't look at me. One minute, we felt like a couple, and the next she was running away."

"Call her."

He shook his head. "She won't take my calls."

"She experienced loss, right?" He nodded, although he couldn't share the details with her. "Maybe she needs space. Be patient with her."

"What am I supposed to do about Hannah?"

"Let me talk to her. Don't be too angry with her."

"She acted like a brat." He made sure his voice was low enough no one else could hear him insult his daughter.

His father walked into the kitchen with Kevin behind him. "Are we going to take down the canopy? I thought it had to be returned today."

"It does." He groaned. "Where's the other kids?"

Kevin said, "Out. Hannah's at Lexie's party with Brooke and Gabby is at Cole's with Logan."

He nodded. He planned to stop by Tessa's after returning the canopy. He rang her bell and waited, but he had to accept that she wasn't home. Sunday evening was the graduation ceremony. How could he worry about his relationship with Tessa when his daughter was graduating without Erica? Milestones had a way of causing grief to grip his heart. They took family pictures with Hannah in her cap and gown, but their family wasn't complete and never would be again.

He glanced across the crowd. He saw another family smiling for pictures too. His eyes briefly met Jack Harris'. Jack nodded. Patrick assumed he was thinking of his late wife too. After an exhausting and emotional weekend, Patrick went to work on Monday without reaching Tessa.

Keep scrolling.