19 - Motives

This is the second of a double update.

Kristi took up Patrick's offer to watch her kids. With all Dan's traveling, they needed some couple time. Ben and Ivy missed him too, so he took them to the baseball game in Portland. The season was just starting, and it was a little cold.

With her few hours to herself, she met Megan at The Landing and then they walked on the beach together.

"I went to the elementary PTA meeting. Your friend is busy."

Megan pushed her arm as they walked side by side. "Have you met yourself?"

"Fine, but I have a husband."

"Who has always worked a hundred hours a week."

"More lately. I'm tired of his traveling. It's wearing him down."

"I'm sorry I can't take Ivy tonight. We're going to Becka's for a big family thing. Peter's sister from Florida is visiting with her family."

"Those kids must be getting old."

"The oldest is a senior."

Kristi assured her. "It's fine. Ivy is excited about sleeping at Gabby's house."

"She's a lot like Patrick."

Kristi agreed. "Hannah's Erica... more reserved. I love the scholarship, but my yearly speech was hard."

"I should have gone to support you, but truthfully I haven't been involved in the PTA."

"Really! I didn't know." Kristi teased her, but even when the twins were younger, she wasn't active at the school.

"I've always worked and then I had Abbie."

"I know. Your friend is on the scholarship committee."

"She has a name. Seriously, why are you so hard on Tessa?"

"I'm not." She didn't trust her, because she was secretive. "Don't you want to know what her story is?"

"Are you kidding me! I get why you tried to pry into my life, but you barely know her. I've offered to listen, but she isn't interested. We have to respect her wishes."

"Fine. I just hope the committee picks Hannah or..."

"Or nothing. You know those essays are blind. Even if they want to pick her, they may not."

"Unless..."

"Unless, what?" Exasperation filled the air.

"Unless I make sure she wins by helping write it. I'll talk to her today."

Kristi had a plan. It felt good to have control over the situation. So many things in life couldn't be controlled.

Patrick opened the door before they arrived on his doorstep. Kristi was pleased to see he looked happy and relaxed. At times, he seemed burdened.

"Come on in. We've got a great time planned. Movies and special dinner. Ivy, you can put your things in Gabby's room."

The young girl smiled and nodded before running up the stairs. Ben had already disappeared with Kevin.

"Thanks, Patrick. I really appreciate it."

"It's no problem. I'm glad to be home on Saturday night."

"Hey, is Hannah home?"

"She's upstairs. I can get her."

Kristi nodded. "I wanted to talk to her."

Patrick disappeared up the stairs.

Kristi was close to Hannah, because she helped Hannah practice driving when Erica was sick. They spent many hours in the car together.

Hannah appeared with Patrick behind her. "Hi Kristi. What's up?"

Kristi paused for a moment. She was beautiful. As she matured, she looked more like her mother.

"I had an idea." She ushered her away from Patrick.

"What are you scheming now involving my daughter?"

"Nothing bad. Trust me."

He laughed a sinister laugh.

Hannah giggled. "I thought maybe I could help you with your scholarship essay."

Her eyes widened. "All of them?"

"I was thinking of your mother's scholarship."

"Oh, that's hardly any money. There are bigger ones."

She shocked Kristi. "Apply. It would be an insult if you didn't."

"Okay. Fine, but only if you help with the others."

Why not? She had plenty of time. Wouldn't Erica help her kids if the situation was reversed? "Fine. Just text me to let me know when you want to come over. And don't leave it to the last minute."

Her face lit up, and she threw her arms around Kristy and gave her a hug. "Thanks. You're the best."

Kristi felt good. She liked to be needed.

"Okay, one of you needs to tell me what's going on."

"Dad, Kristi's going to help me write my scholarship essays."

She bounced up the stairs.

"Why?" Patrick didn't look as happy.

"I wanted to make sure they award her Erica's, but she asked for more help. Erica would want me to help her daughter."

He shook his head. "Erica would want her to write them on her own." He sighed. "I'll let her know she needs a first draft. You can help edit and polish it. She's a skilled writer. She can do it."

"Are you mad at me? What if she doesn't get it?" Kristi thought she might cry. She had been so happy. Suddenly Hannah winning that scholarship meant everything.

He sighed. "No, I'm not mad at you. I know you get over enthusiastic. She'll be okay if she doesn't win the scholarship."

"I won't. It will be that woman's fault."

"Who are you going to blame?"

"Your dance partner is the chair."

"Tessa? Really." He frowned.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't trust her motives."

"What motives? Not everyone has motives. Go spend time with your husband. Have fun."

"I know when I'm not wanted."

"Bye." He practically pushed her out the door.