27

Omniscient

Confusion was an understatement to describe Selena's current state.

She blinks attempting to process what was going on, there were so many bodies, some unresponsive, some in agonizing pain, others trying to flee the situation.

It was no longer confusion when a man (presumably the shooter) approached Billie's and Selena's table. "Woah, woah, we don't do that here." Selena stopped him almost instantly.

"Billie." The man said, dropping his weapon. "Aiden?" Billie asked. "God, I've been looking for you for so long."

"Billie, who is this?" Selena asked. "I'm her fiance, who are you?"

"Fiance? We're not even dating, what are you talking about?" Billie quickly asked. "Wait- wait, you realize that you just shot up a restaurant?" Selena asked.

"I was looking for Billie. Baby, where were you all this time?" Aiden asked Billie. "Selena, I can explain-"

"I don't care about any of that right now! He just shot about a dozen people, look!" Selena shouted, making Billie look at her stunned, Selena having never raise her voice like her like that.

"Billie, who the hell is this?"

"My girlfriend, you bozo." Billie answered defensively. "No," Aiden laughed, shaking his head. "Billie, please. I love you, I'm sorry for everything I've done. We- we can do this together. If you just forget everything I did, we can do what you wanted, get married, and have kids."

"No Aiden!" Billie yelled. "I'm- I said I was sorry, please. I can't live without you, I can't sleep at night. I need you in my life, I'm begging you."

"I don't understand Aiden, no, I'm not doing that." Billie shook her head, Aiden huffed and picked up the gun that was laying on the floor and putting it to the side of his head. "So dramatic." Selena mumbled.

"I will shoot myself Billie if you don't say yes-"

"You sound like a lunatic, Aiden." Billie told him. "I'm going to leave now, you two obviously have some business to handle, I'm done." Selena said, wanting to get up. "Don't leave, I'll explain back home."

"Billie, I'm begging you, okay, just forget this girl exists."

"It's going to be hard forgetting that I exist, considering she's obsessed with me." Selena mumbled. "Billie, you don't like women, you're just confused, and I'm here, okay Anna?"

"Who's Anna?" Selena asked. "I meant Billie." He whispered. "Cops are on their way." Selena told him.

"Anna, we can go right now, they won't find us. I have a place in Mexico, you'll love it, they have those steaks you like."

"My name isn't Anna, and I'm vegan, I don't eat steak."

"We have to hurry, baby. They can't come, they'll kill me."

"I don't want to, Aiden." Billie shook her head.

"Why An- Billie, if you don't like Mexico, maybe we'll go to Greece or Canada, whatever you want."

"No."

"I will kill myself if you don't agree right now."

"At this point, just do it and get it over with." Selena mumbled, rolling her eyes, only to be sent a glare by Billie.

"Aiden, you don't have to do this, we can talk through this. I'm not Anna."

"There is no need for talking, just a simple yes or no." Aiden told her with a shaky voice as Selena sat there with her arms crossed over her chest, annoyed by the entire situation. "You have a lot of explaining to do when we get back."

"Billie, choose me." Aiden said. "Ed è per questo che odio le persone. (And this is why I hate people.)"

"No, I can't Aiden, I don't want to." Billie stuck to her answer and ran her fingers through her hair.

Aiden pulled the trigger.

***

Billie waited in Selena's car as Selena spoke with the police officers. After a while, Selena got in the car and said nothing, the two sitting in awkward silence as they returned home.

When they arrived at the house, it was empty, Selena went to go upstairs but Billie stopped her. "You're just gonna ignore me?"

"What do you want to talk about then?"

"The restaurant, and the whole Aiden thing. It's not what you think, we were friends a long time ago, he was engaged to a woman named Anna, she died in a car accident and he said I looked like her. Since she died, he developed some psychological problems and started mistaking me for his fiance until he thought I was her."

Selena just stared at Billie before running her tongue over her lower lip and nodding. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I stopped talking to him months ago, way before I met you."

"I don't care about anyone trying to get in between us, what I care about is that man walking in a restaurant and killing a bunch of innocent people to get to you."

"I had no idea he was looking for me or he would do something like that, I swear."

"I'm not saying you knew, it's just this is the second time people have died looking for you. Back in LA, and now here."

"I do-"

"Billie, just accept it, damn it. Trouble follows you everywhere you go." Billie was taken back by what her girlfriend told her. What had hit Billie so hard was how confidently Selena said that. She didn't even hesitate.

"You're trouble, Billie."

I- ... it aint my fault