13

Billie POV

"Perché hai portato June qui? Cosa ti ha fatto pensare che avesse senso? Eh? (Why did you bring June here? What made you think that made sense? Huh?)" Selena can be heard in the other room. I can't understand what she's saying because she's speaking Italian.

"So Billie, where are you from?" I'm asked by Selena's grandmother, Nonna Marjorie. "I'm from here actually, Highland Park." I answer. "Oh that's nice, how's your family?" Nonna asks and my smile fades.

I know she means well, "Uh, Nonna. Do you want something to drink?" Ariana distracts her and also saves me from having to answer that question. 

For the next hour, I meet the rest of Selena's family and they're all so lovable, especially her mother, I really wonder where she gets that cold demeanor from.

Footsteps can be heard and it's not Selena that comes out, but the person she was talking to. "Dov' e' Selena? (Where's Selena?)" Her mother asks.

"Non e la persona con cui vuoi parlare adesso. (She is not the person you want to talk to right now.)"

Selena POV

I pace back and forth in my room as I twirl my shiv in my hand. This can't be real, this can't be. How? Why did they bring her here? Like yeah it's ok for them to be here, but m-

"Selena?" I hear my name being called. "Go away."

My room door opens anyway and I snap my head to the door. "Still bitchy, I see." Billie struts in. "Billie, please. Now is not the time you want to piss me off."

"And why not?" She crosses her arms and places them on her chest. "I have a knife in my hand."

"Yeah, like you'll use it on me." She rolls her eyes and I feel threatened. "What?" I ask her. "I said you won't use it." She repeats herself. I charge at her making her back collide with the wall and my shiv is right against her throat.

She gasps as her back hits the wall and says "Why aren't you doing anything?"

"What?" I spit at her. "You don't need me anymore right, I gave you your location and you went a few days ago, you can kill me now." She mutters.

"You want me to kill you?"

"I mean I already feel dead, what's stopping you?" She asks me. What was stopping me? There was something I had against her, I didn't know whether it was hatred or something else. But the thing about her is that I couldn't hate her enough to kill her.

Trust me I wanted her dead, she worked with someone I was running away from my whole life, but I couldn't kill her. The day when I choked her, something told me that she had to stay, something made me take my hand away from her throat.

Like how something made me take the shiv from her throat. "You're lucky." I mutter. 

"Yeah, whatever?" She rolls her eyes. "Are you upset about them bringing June here?" 

"No." I lie easily. "Yes you are, I mean it must suck having your parents bringing your daughter here." My eyes dart at her when she mentions daughter.

"Daughter?" I ask. "Come on, I'm 17 but not an idiot, first you two have the same brown hair color and the rest of your family's is a dark brown, same with the blue eyes, June has a twitch in her right eye and so do you."

I just stare at her in disbelief on how she was able to put two and two together, damn you genetics.

"T-that doesn't mean she's my daughter."

"Are you really gonna try and call me crazy?" She asks me and I look at her rolling my eyes. "Fine, she's my daughter."

"Wait, really?" She asks. "Obviously genetics proves it."

"You have a kid." She says blankly. "Selena has a kid." She repeats.

"Why are you saying it over and over again?" I ask her. "You. Have. A. Kid. What!?"

"Yeah, surprising right?" I say sarcastically.

"Wait- how?"

"Uh people get pregnant? That's how?"

She looks at me in shock and lets out a laugh. "Why don't you want her here?" She asks me.

"That's an easy answer, you should know that my life is dangerous and my daughter's safety is my number one priority." I tell her.

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?" I ask. "That you haven't seen her since she was born?"

I sigh lightly and I say, "It's true, gave birth to her in Italy and left when she was four days old. I didn't even want to hold her."

"You've never held your daughter before, even when you visit?"

"No, I don't let them bring her around me, I get scared I guess."

"The big bad Selena gets scared?"

"My worst fear is my daughter being hurt by one of enemies just because the life I live. And if that means I can't see her, just to keep her safe, I'm willing to accept that."

"You're an idiot." Billie says making me snap my head towards her.

"What?" I spit. "You're an idiot, you have a house surrounded by snipers waiting to shoot anyone at any moment, your security is top level, June is the safest here."

"Billie, you don't understand, this is literally the worst place for her to be." I laugh. "Okay, I'm not gonna force you right now since it is a sensitive topic, but at least hold her, look at her, she's beautiful."

"I know she is, but I'm not ready."

"You are ready, just nervous." She says making me shrug. "I guess but there's no way I'm going back down there after I threw a temper tantrum." 

"I'll bring her up to you." I nod at her statement and she walks out. I can't believe I let a random girl convince me to do something I've been avoiding for almost a year.

The door opens and I sit on my bed as anticipation grows in my stomach. Billie walks in with June in her arms and June makes eye contact with me. "This is mama, Junie." I can't help but smile at the nickname Billie gave her.

Billie placed June in my arms and sat besides me. I sighed as I took a look at my daughter's face, chuckling at how similar she looks to me. "You're so beautiful." I mutter quietly.

She smiles and reaches up for the necklace with Isabella's photo in it. I've never given this necklace to anyone, to even hold or touch, but when I saw June reaching for it, I took it off and wrap it around her neck.

"When are you going to talk about Isabella?" Billie asked. "What is it that you want to know about her?" I ask.

"Who she was? Well, I know she was your girlfriend, but more."

"Girlfriend?" I look at her. "She was your girlfriend, wasn't she?"

"Isabella was my little sister."

From now on, I will be updating Shiv In The Night every Thursday, but for those who read You Don't Know Me, prepare for an update on Sunday.