21

Selena POV

Selena POV

"Wait, you guys almost kissed?" Mom asks me and all I do is nod. "What happened?" She asks me.

"I backed out." I admit, passing the blueberry to June, who was sitting in her highchair consumed by the sounds playing on her tablet.

"Why Selena?"

"I don't need some girl in my life right now. I have more serious problems to worry about, like what I'm going to do for this little one's birthday." I poke June's cheek and she places her cheek on her shoulder, grinning a bit.

"You don't plan to stay single for the rest of your life, do you Amore?" She tilts her head. "I mean you're doing it, right?"

She gives me a look before hitting me, as I let out a laugh. "For your information, smarty pants, I've met someone back home." She smiled.

"I hate him already."

She laughs before shaking her head, "Seriously he's- he's nice, I met him at that restaurant you always take me to on Mothers Day."

"La Pergola?" I looked up at her as June was slowly trying to catch my attention. "Yeah, I was there with Joan and Nonna and he approached us, complimented me and asked for my number."

"I don't like him." I shake my head. "You haven't even met him yet."

"So? I want my mom to myself. And any man that tries to take me away from her is disliked."

"I will always be here for you. Trust me, I'm not going anywhere for a very long time." She tells me. "Mama!" I hear making me turn my head quickly.

I look at June who's chewing on her blueberry and her fingers at the same time. "Did she jus-"

"What did you say June?" June looks at me, her interest in her deep blue eyes more adamant in my necklace than in me.

She then looks at me, her index finger poking out as she poked my nose repeatedly. "Mama." She says more calmly.

"You called me Mama." I pouted. "She's adorable." Mom tells me. June continues to smile, her eyes being extremely lazy. I pass her another blueberry but she shakes her head, "Don't want it?"

Without answering, she palms my chest, her tiny hand covering my locket. "She's obsessed with this." I mumble.

"So are you, you don't go anywhere without it." Mom tells me after taking a sip of her coffee. "Why is she so drawn to it though?"

"You know, I was watching some medium and she said some babies can feel a presence. There might be a presence around that necklace that June's sensing."

"Don't try to tell me my kid's a demon now." I say making her laugh.

"No! Of course not, what I'm saying is that June might sense that the necklace is important to you, so she wants it to be important to her as well."

After a while of silence, I turn my head facing my mom, "I'll come back to Italy." I tell her. "Hm, baby?"

"I want to come back home after this." I nod. "Are- are you sure?" She asks me.

"Yeah, I only came here for Matteo, when I'm done, why not come back. I kind of want June to grow up where I grew up, that sounds okay, doesn't it?" I ask.

"Of course it is, it's all I wanted." I smile at her statement, turning my head back to June due to her tugging on the necklace.

"Don't break it love." I tell her, making her pout and letting out a whine. We talk for a while and I hear footsteps. I see it's Billie walking down the stairs and my eyes don't leave her, she walks out of the house, Ariana following her out.

"Selena!" My eyes snapped back at my mother who shouted my name. She never calls me by my full name, so I was surprised. "Yeah mama?"

"I've been saying your name for a while now, are you fine?"

"Yeah, sorry. I was uh- distracted."

"Jesus, this girl has you sprung." Mom shakes her head. "What girl?" I ask. "Billie, don't act like you have no idea what I'm talking about."

"First off, I am not sprung, I don't get sprung over people." I tell her. "What? You think people get sprung over you?" She snarks.

"Believe me, I've had people tell me that they'd let me run them over, as long as they could see my face again. Trust me, it's weird."

"I mean it makes sense. Have you seen your face in the mirror?"

"Like everyday, it's not that big of a deal." I shrug. (A/n: y'all can't cap, she's mad pretty.)

"You're funny, do you know what you're doing for her birthday?"

"Ariana said she wants to plan it, we both know she's going to go crazy." I laugh and she smiles before nodding. "Remember when she got the pony for Nonna's birthday."

"Damn that pony," I mutter. "The mess it made should be a crime and then cried when it left." I sigh, shaking my head.

"You guys act more like sisters rather than cousins."

"Well, it's just us two, plus Frankie who's doing God knows what."

"Hey," Mom hits my hand. "He's doing better, he finally got away from that boyfriend of his." She mutters.

"Is he still using?" I ask. "No, he's in rehab actually."

"I haven't talked to him in months." I tell her. "2 years actually, the last time you talked to him was before you came here. Do you plan to speak to him again?"

"Of course I do, but not now, I'm not ready and he's in rehab, I don't want to mess any of that up." I shake my head. "It's obvious that you care about him, you just need more time to cope for what he's done. So does he."

"Yeah, I care about him, he's my cousin, I have to. Once I'm back home, I'll see what I can do." I shrug, my phone goes off making me glance at it.

"I have to go." I get up. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just had some people clean out Lia's room, they found something."

"Alright, stay safe." She tells me. "I'll be okay, I'll be right upstairs."

I remove myself from the dining room, and I walk up the stairs into the room that used to contain Lia. "What'd you find?" I ask.

"This." I'm passed a piece of paper. "This may help you with Matteo's location." I'm told. I look at the paper and my eyes widen at what I read.

Matteo's been right under my nose this whole time.

oop-