18

Selena POV

The three men were shoving their faces with my Nonna's pasta. They looked at me and went back to shoving their faces. "Hey, who made this pasta, it's delicious!" One of the men asked.

I heard quiet footsteps and I turned around seeing it was Nonna herself, "I thought I locked the doors?" I mumble.

"Facevo giardinaggio, amore mio (I was gardening, my love)." Nonna smiled. Nonna turned around and gasped.

"La mia pasta! (My pasta)!" Nonna gasped. "It's delicious!" One of the men say and I recognize the voice.

"Sebastian?" I call out my cousin's name. "Hm, who's that?" He asks.

I laugh and I walk up to the boys pulling off their masks revealing my cousins. The three of them looked at me like they were lost.

"What are you three doing?" I ask them. "You know what we're doing, eating pasta." Sebastian answered. Nonna walked over and smacked the boys in their head taking her pasta.

"I was saving it for the pretty blue eyed girl." Nonna said and I said the name of the only person that came to mind.

"Billie?" I ask making Sebastian exclaim, "Ah ha! You admitted she was pretty."

I roll my eyes and suddenly the other two Jeremy and William start picking with me making me punch all three of them.

William coughed as he said, "Remind me not to mess with you again."

"Nonna didn't want to share her pasta with us last night, so we faked a burglary. We didn't know an alarm would go off." I believed them, they were my cousins, also known for their elaborate pranks when they were all young.

"Wait, so who did I knock out?" I ask. "Me!" Carina calls out, limping into the kitchen. I cover my mouth not wanting to laugh, "You need-" Carina cut off Sebastian with, "Don't even."

"No pasta for you." Nonna told Carina, "Nonna, Billie isn't going to eat, she's vegan."

"Oh." Nonna frowned. "Hey, what do you say I help make a vegan one, yeah?"

Nonna agrees and I tell her I need to see my Mom. I go upstairs sending a text to Dala to unlock the doors. I open my room door and my mom's sitting there and she gets up when she sees me.

"What was it?" She asks. "The boys and Carina, they were trying to sneak Nonna's pasta." I tell her and she laughs a bit.

"My offer's still up." Mom tells me. "Mama, I would love to move back to Italy, but this is the wrong time, Matteo's still out there."

Mom sighs and nods a bit before sniffling. "Mama, I don't mean to make you cry." I sit by her. "Lena, you don't understand how terrified I am. I am scared one day someone's going to call me and tell me you're dead."

"He won't get to me, okay?" I reassure her. "What- what if one day, I find you dead and-" I cup her face. "Listen to me. I will be fine, I've been fine for years and nothing will happen to me now. I'm literally trained to defend myself and protect you, June, Ariana, everyone in this house, okay? Don't think like that."

She sighs before leaning into me and I kiss the top of her head. It makes sense why she worries, she fled from a man, just for her daughter to chase after him.

"I remember when I gave birth to you." She says, making me raise an eyebrow, "I don't think I want to hear that story Mama." I shake my head.

"It was the middle of the night-" I cut her off, "Mama..."

"Fine, fine, you don't have to hear it if you don't want to."

"Thank you." After a while, she just stares at me, making me chuckle. "Is there something on my face?" I ask her.