- 34 -

༞↣⇕↢༞

↣⇕↢

SIXTEEN M O N T H S  A G O :

The house phone blared inside the Shore residence, a small apartment in ashrafieh, Lebanon.

Groaning in frustration at the sound that woke her up from her slumber, Mira got out of bed. With sleepy eyes and a sleepy brain she could not make out whose number flashed on the screen of the phone and so she responded without thinking.

"Allo?" She asked groggily into the receiver. On the other end an automated voice began speaking.

"This is the Metropolitan Correctional Center. An inmate has requested to speak to you. If you accept the charges, please state 'I accept the charges', if you-"

Mira cut off the machine with a frustrated sigh and did what was asked of her.

"I accept the charges" She stated clearly.

The phone rang for a minute before she heard a raspy voice on the other side of the line, a voice she recognized and a voice she had hoped she would never hear again.

"Hi darling, have you missed me?" He asked in a mischievous tone.

And as she went to hang up the phone, he spoke again lound and clear, which made her hesitate a bit.

"Before you hang up, you might want to listen to what I have to say, love" Rick Alfonso purred on the other line. His tone of voice disgusted her and it made bile hike itself upward from her gallbladder.

Mira swallowed hard and urged him to say what he had to say. Just the sound of his voice was enough to bring back up repressed memories, ones she had desperately wanted to forget and ones that haunted her, still.

"I know where your sister is. And I'm not talking about Sacha." His voice was smug and she could guess that he had a smirk on his disgusting face.

That got her attention very clearly.
"Where is she?" She asked firmly, hoping Christie hadn't put herself through too much trouble.

Mira didn't know why she immediately trusted his word. Maybe it was because of the fact that she had been desperate to find her ever since she had up and disappeared on her. Or maybe it was because she was incredibly stupid. Hearing him out wouldn't bring back anything bad though.

Rick merely chuckled at her question, "Tell you what, you do something for me, and I'll do something for you, yeah?"

Mira shuddered at the suggestion, knowing nothing good would come out of what she had to do for him. She looked at the grandfather clock that rested itself on the wall beside her, before her eyes widened in realization at the time. In merely a couple of seconds, her daughter would enter the house, freshly back from school and she could not let her overhear that conversation.