Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I slowly wake up luckily not to the sound of my alarm clock. I turn over to see what the time is and find out that its eight am meaning the alarm could go off at any minute. I turn it off while flinging my legs over the side of the bed.

Last night was really fun up until the end. A lot of the Clan got rather drunk except for me and a select few others. Roxy was by far the worst and I have no idea if she’ll be getting up at all this morning although she might want to. It’s the day in which I have to fulfill my challenge. Greta was quick to remind me last night before I went to bed about her challenge and what she’ll get out of it. She’s arrogant. She believes that she’ll win hands down yet I am certain that it is anyone’s game. She may have years more experience in fighting than I do as well as her animals stamina but I have my youthful agility, power and feral tendencies to my advantage.

I get up fully and get into some clothing that I don’t mind losing as I predict that my Snow Leopard will break out before I can strip fully. I’m wearing a pair of short blue shorts and a loose gray top.

I hear a soft knock on the door so I quickly stroll over to the door and open it. I’m surprised to see Loki standing at my door.

I ask “What can I do for you Loki?”

Loki pushes further in without a word. I glare at his back while closing the door behind me as I walk further into my room.

I comment sarcastically “Barge right in here why don’t you.”

Loki quickly grips my arms pulling me closer to him as he pleads “Don’t fight Greta.”

I argue “Loki we went over this. She challenged me and not you. If I don’t accept it I’ll look weak and I might get challenged more often.”

Loki grip on me tightens as he objects “But you could get hurt Brooklyn. I don’t want you getting hurt on my account.”

“Loki I have no choice in the matter she challenged me. This would have happened anyway. She has been looking for a reason to challenge me for a very long time Loki. I have a past that many people have heard rumours of. It’s the whole reason that I am like I am. It’s the reason why my Snow Leopard is feral most of the time. Greta has never liked it that someone like me can have power over her. If I get hurt it means that I was outmatched at that particular point in the fight. We are not fighting to the death and I will ask one of the others to make sure that my Leopard doesn’t kill her.”

“Can’t I take your place? I couldn’t cope with myself if anything happened to you because of me.”

“Loki I will be fine. You can’t take my place as not only is this my challenge but again it’ll make me look weak.”

“Then look weak! Please I beg of you don’t fight!”

“Loki I can’t risk my position here. I have never backed out of a challenge before and I am not doing so now.”

“Please Brooklyn I don’t want to lose you not like I have with everyone else I’ve ever cared about.”

“Loki?”

“Please I couldn’t cope with myself if anything happened to you.”

“Where is this coming from Loki? Why are you saying all of this?”

Loki pulls me closer to him his eyes showing the tears that threaten to spill out into the open.

Loki’s eyes flutter down to the ground as he sighs “I can’t shake the feeling that I know you from somewhere else and I don’t understand where I know you from.”