Chapter 26: Daniel's Memories

AN: Before I begin, I just want to say that I've been anticipating doing this part of the story for a really long time because this one will be all about Johan's father, Daniel. I don't want to spoil it for you all, but I suggest you read and trust me, you'll be surprised.😉Enjoy!😊

As soon as we got to the sunroom, James, my grandfather and I sat at the table that was already set with our teacups and the plates of sweets that we were already enjoying. My grandfather took one of the cookies off of the plate and he said, "Unbelievable. The nerve of that woman and her daughter calling Johan dangerous. I'm glad my health is still stable because if it wasn't then I would've collapsed on the floor and be dead in a minute."

As my grandfather bit into his cookie, James picked up his teacup and said, "What's really surprising is Daniel is going along with them. I talked to Julian numerous times and he said that ever since Emilia died and Daniel remarried, he turned into a completely different person."

"Teacher Julian did tell me that he was the only one to teach me magic ever since my father kicked me out. But some days I wish he would look at me more and not hate me so much," I said as James too a sip from his cup.

My grandfather placed his hand on top of mine and said, "Now that's not true, kiddo. I know deep inside your father still has some love for you. He just needs to break out of the thing that's holding him down."

As I was about to ask what it was that's been holding my father down, James looked up from his cup to look into the doorway and he said, "Speak of the devil." And my grandfather and I followed his gaze to see my father, along with Johanna and Anastasia, standing before us.

It was then that Johanna looked at my father and said to him, "Go on Daniel. Tell your father."

As I saw him walk forward, I looked into my father's eyes and I saw a weird glow in his irises. When I saw the glow, I recognized it to be an indigo color which was the same color of the powder that Anastasia put on her cookies and it was also the same glow that gave me a weird feeling back at the banquet a few months back. Once my father was close enough, he let out a sigh and said, "Father, I really think Johan should leave. He's making Johanna and Anastasia really uncomfortable."

Richard let out a sigh, stood up from his chair to stare at Daniel and he said, "Is that all you have to say, boy? Why should Johan even leave at all if all he's doing is sitting here and talking to us?"

"But it's what Johanna suggested," my father said.

Richard shook his head in disappointment and he looked at Daniel and said, "Really? Are you gonna keep believing every word she says? How much longer are you going to keep this charade up, Daniel?! That woman is just using you!"

My father flinched a little when he heard my grandfather say that and he said back, "How can you say that?! Johanna was there for me after Emilia died!"

"And do you remember how she died or who killed her? And what about the times you thought Johan was doing stuff to "hurt" Johanna and Anastasia when in reality, it's your own son who's been getting hurt," Richard explained to him with a furrowed gaze.

My father felt a headache come after he heard those words and he clutched his head in pain. Johanna went to comfort him, but Richard told her to stop and to not touch him. Confused as to what was happening, I asked, "What's going on? What's wrong with my father?"

James placed a hand on my shoulder and said, "Daniel is have a mental breakdown because of the magic that's been put on him over the years. From what I can tell, he's trying to break out of it and no matter how many times he's tried, the same spell has been cast so he would remain the same."