Chapter 12: Julian Investigates

Julian's POV:

A few weeks later, the holidays have come and gone. I was in my room at the academy's dorms which was made specifically for the teachers. I made myself sone hot barley tea and I was sitting at my desk reviewing the lessons I had planned for the upcoming semester. As I was looking over my schedule, my eyes drifted to a photo of myself, Daniel and Emilia back when we were students ourselves. Emilia had her arms around us and she was smiling brightly while Daniel and I had looks on our faces like we didn't what to do.

I picked up the picture frame, looked at the photo of the three of us and I smiled remembering the good times.

15 years ago:

I was seventeen and I started out at my first year in the academy. The uniforms for the mage students were the same like they were today, along with the uniforms for the servants and the non magic students. I arrived at the academy a few minutes early cause just like Johan, I too was class rep for my class. I did jobs the teachers wanted me to do like Johan and I got everything ready for that day's classes. After my jobs were done, I chose to kill some time by being in the library and do some reading.

When I got there, I thought I was alone, but I heard grunting coming from one of the shelves. I looked around until I spotted Daniel putting away books and he was trying desperately to put some on the top shelves. Back then, Daniel was the leader of the academy's library club which meant that he was responsible for the library's books and he had to volunteer occasionally. I smiled up at him as he was standing on the footstool and asked, "Need some help Daniel?"

The instant Daniel saw me, he got surprised and he fell backwards off the stool and onto the floor. As Daniel was rubbing his back after he fell, he looked up at me and said, "Geez Julian! Send me a warning next time, will ya?!"

I laughed at the way he sounded so childish back then. Back then, Daniel wore glasses since he was a bit nearsighted. But no matter what he looked like or what he wore, the two of us stuck together like glue to paper. After I helped him up from the floor, I helped Daniel put the rest of the books away until everything was done. Once that was done, I looked at Daniel and said, "I thought Emilia was gonna help you out Daniel? She's usually here helping you."

Daniel blushed at the sound of Emilia's name and he said while scratching his neck, "She had a meeting with the student council so she couldn't help me this morning."

Back then, Daniel and Emilia were sweethearts and whenever one was away from the other, they would get all bashful and blush deep red like a beet. But no matter what, the three of us had a deep bond which gave me, Daniel and Emilia the name "The Powerful Three" amongst our peers. But no matter what we were called, I was proud to be friends with both Emilia and Daniel. Next thing I knew, I felt a tap on my head and I saw that it was Emilia who did it and she was holding a book in her hand which must've what she used to tap me.

Emilia let out a sigh and said, "Geez Julian, don't embarrass my boyfriend like that! I already get it enough from Camilla and my other friends!"

I laughed at told Emilia that I was just making conversation with him. After that, the three of us went on with our lessons. For the next four years, Daniel, Emilia and myself spent every waking moment together. We went out and had fun together, had lunch together, joked around like a bunch of fools and even talked about our future together. Daniel and Emilia talked about getting married a few years after graduation and I planned on becoming first seat of the magic council like my father and grandfather before me and I also planned on becoming a teacher at the academy.

Before long, four years passed and the three of us graduated with high honors. Emilia thought we should get a photo to commemorate the moment. I remembered the three of us were standing in front of the academy and Emilia set of an image orb in front of us. Before long, she slung her arms around us and while Daniel and I looked baffled, Emilia wore a bright smile like she always had and the orb caught our image after that.