Chapter 16: The Festival

Third POV:

On the day that Johan and his friends finished the costumes, horses bearing the kingdom of Levinia's royal crest approached the castle. The guards on the lookout noticed who they were immediately and they called out to the guards below, "Lower the bridge and raise the gates! The King's Knights have returned!"

Heeding their words, the guards on the ground worked together to turn the wheels to lower the bridge so the horses can cross the moat and the lift the iron gates so the horses can enter. After they did all of that, the King's Knights entered on their horses until all of them were in the courtyard. Edward left through the castle's front doors and approached the group. The knight in front got off his horse and approached the prince and this one had wavy blonde hair and green eyes.

Edward, took the knight's hand and shook it and the knight shook it back and Edward said, "Welcome back Commander Reeves. I take it your journey to the outer towns went well?"

Reeves took his hand back and said, "Our inspections of those towns went smoothly Your Highness. However some of them were having some troubles that took us a while to fix."

Edward furrowed his eyes when he heard that and he asked, "What kind of problems?"

Reeves looked at the knight next to his horse and he said, "Aile, tell the men they're dismissed and accompany me while I explain the situations to Prince Edward."

The knight, known as Aile, was Reeves' Vice-Commander and he had his shoulder length black hair tied up in a ponytail and his eyes were obsidian colored. Aile did what Reeves asked him and he dismounted his horse too and followed his commander and Edward into the castle. As Edward and Reeves were walking, Reeves said, "What we've encountered at the villages outside of this town is something I would never have dreamed of. One town had an epidemic because someone hunted black boars but they left the carcasses laying out in the open."

Edward looked over at Reeves and said, "But if a black boar carcass is left out, it'll start to rot and then the smell of it's rotting flesh will bring disease to any who smell it."

Reeves nodded and said, "Exactly. But the other village we came to was hit the worst."

Aile was the next one to tell him about it and he explained, "That one village was hit by a resistance. Most of the people who were living there died of starvation and dehydration because the price of their food and water was raised."

"By how much?" Edward asked.

Aile looked down and said, "300 ruknots plus tax."

Reeves then said, "When we got there, almost half the population died. That resistance drained almost all those people who can get by on just 500 ruknots."

"Luckily, we sent them to a town a few miles from that village that welcomes refugees from dwindling villages. Reeves and I gave them enough rations of food and water to last them for those three days," Aile said.

Reeves then continued, "As for the black boar carcasses, we cleared all of them out of the area and disposed of them properly. We gave the people of that town medicine to combat the epidemic and we believe they'll be cured in a few days."

Edward smiled when he heard all of that and he said, "I'm glad you guys are true to your word. Are you guys gonna report to my father and mother?"