• birthday boy •

"Tetsu."

It's been several minutes after the dispute. Your fist knocked against the wood of your door to announce your entrance before the boy can make a scare. When Tetsu aimed his crying eyes at your concern state walking, he buried his face so deep into the pillow. Endless tears and snot smeared against the butterfly printed pillow and you grimaced.

That one is your favorite.

"Hey," you eased, placing yourself at the edge of the bed to pat his shaking back. "Your daddy is leaving. Do you want to say 'bye' before he goes?"

"No...!" Tetsu hugged the pillow tighter, words muffling against the thread. "I don't wanna."

"Tetsu...," you tried to console him.

Despite his recent argument with his dad, you knew he wasn't going to get over it that quickly. It was almost dumb to even try to convince him to talk to Tooru but you just wanted to give it a try at least.

So you sighed while listening to his wails against the sheets, but you were also startled when Tooru's footsteps approached behind you, troubled eyes and lips in a tight line. He cautiously joined and sat with you as Tetsu jumped at the added weight shifting the bed and he knew that his dad is in the same room.

"I'm going to leave, Tetsu," he informed gently, voice almost sounding like honey to persuade the youngling to turn to him. Unfortunately he didn't, and Tooru didn't expect any more or less from him.

You felt the discouragement growing on the man's face when he saw that Tetsu remained unresponsive, unmoving and blubbered like there's no tomorrow. The boy hid himself underneath the cover to stow away his cries, avoiding him and you playing accomplice to speak up.

At this point, he wasn't going to comply.

"Take care of [Name] for me, okay?" Tooru lastly whispered before getting up from his seat. But when he looked back at his son's fetal form underneath the blanket, a frown seeped on his face. "Happy birthday, and I love you."

Strangely, his last words didn't sit right with Tetsu as his sobs lowered a bit to hear his dad leave the room with you. Shutting the door behind your back, the despair didn't leave on the man's visage. His copper eyes looked lost and empty, he was hesitant before he realized his mind was getting sidetracked and witnessed your face stirring in worry.

"Will you be okay?" you questioned him with a hand at his shoulder.

He glowered in sorrow, you caught, but a wretched smile painted his lips to give comfort to your tension.

Grabbing your hand, he brought your fingers to his lips and planted a few kisses against your knuckle. You felt your heart flutter at the sweet touch yet you were yearning to uplift him. It's supposed to be you to shower him with assurance.