6. New Beginnings

Two years later

Libby's POV

I could hear the muffled voices of my mum and Elliot downstairs as I closed my bedroom door and headed for the stairs. His face beamed as soon as he caught sight of me, he watched me carefully as I descended the stairs.

"Bye mum" I said casually as I grabbed my bag off the banister.

"Don't be too late back we've got an early start in the morning." She reminded me with a stern look in her eyes. I nodded as I pulled on Elliot's arm dragging him from the house.

The late September morning was warm and humid and as the light breeze passed over my face I felt a sticky sheen fall over it. I had left my now long hair down but I was already regretting it, the straight heavy blanket of hair which fell around my face and shoulders added to the uncomfortable heat of the morning, I sighed in irritation.

"What's the matter?" Elliot asked as he lightly kissed my cheek.

"It's just too warm" I complained, scrunching up my nose and frowning to emphasise my distaste.

"Come on, cheer up" he encouraged, "This is our last day together" he reminded me, I didn't even bother to try to hide the sadness within my eyes as I swallowed loudly in a futile attempt at keeping my emotions under control.

"So what's the plan for today?" I asked squeezing his hand a little tighter hoping a change of conversation topic would somehow lighten the mood. It seemed to do the trick, as suddenly his face was bright and excited.

"Well this morning I just thought we'd hang out at my house." His eyebrows wiggled suggestively making him look like a villain from the black and white silent movies.

"The parents are out for the morning, they've already left for church, and then they're visiting my great aunt, I think she's ill or she's fallen over or something." He shrugged his shoulders dismissively; I shook my head disapprovingly, not quite sure if it was at his lack of compassion for his elderly aunt or his one track mind.

His house was only a short walk from mine but the anticipation of what we would be doing for the next couple of hours had him impatiently urging me to walk faster. His impatience turning instantly to desire the moment we reached his front door. Within seconds I was in his room with his hands pulling at my clothes.

"What's the hurry? I thought you said we had all morning?" I reasoned as he now turned his attentions to his own clothes.

"We do, but I don't want to waste a single minute." He kissed me then with an urgency which took my breath away. I was a little lightheaded when he finally pulled his lips away from mine and pulled me towards his waiting bed.

All too soon I could hear his parent's car pull up in the gravel driveway, I sighed again as I quickly got out of bed and dressed. By the time his mum had made it up the stairs we had remade the bed, tidied ourselves up and inconspicuously turned on the TV, pretending to be watching the Sunday soap omnibuses.

"Hey kids" his mum greeted us cheerily, "Can I get you anything?" She asked as she poked her head through the open door.

"No thanks mum." Elliot answered not bothering to pull his eyes away from the screen, "We're just on our way out." He concluded.

"Well then I guess I'd better say my goodbyes now then" She added as she walked further into the room holding her arms out open. I quickly realised this was my cue, so getting up from the floor I moved towards her waiting embrace.