7. Independent

Libby's POV

The morning sunshine blazed against my face as I tried desperately to ignore my mother's now near scream for me to get up and get in the shower.

I let one eye open a slither so I could read the digital display on my alarm clock. Ergh, 6:32, she has got to be shitting me, I couldn't keep the look of disgust off my face.

"Good you're awake, now get out of bed." As she spoke she whipped the duvet off. "Get in the shower whilst I make breakfast." She ordered from over her shoulder as she left my room. I instantly grabbed my still warm quilt and snuggled under it again. "I mean it!" She roared from the doorway, and although my eyes were still closed I rolled them knowing I wouldn't be getting anymore sleep this morning.

By the time breakfast was ready I was sat waiting at the kitchen table. My mum put a stack of pancakes in front of me and poured a glass of juice.

"Thanks mum" I said between huge mouthfuls, I couldn't stop the appreciative groans as I shovelled each forkful into my mouth. I loved pancakes, especially my mum's pancakes; these were definitely one home comfort I'd miss.

"You're welcome love" she replied smiling, "I couldn't send you off hungry now could I?"

After breakfast my mum went through her exhaustive check list to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. All too soon I was ready to leave, my car was packed up and the tank was full. All I had left to do now was say goodbye to my mum.

I couldn't tell if she was upset or excited, unlike Elliot's mum she hadn't shed a tear, well not in front of me, anyway. Ever since I'd gotten my results she had spoken of nothing other than how fantastic the next three years was going to be, how much I'd grow as a person. No she wasn't upset she was clearly excited, I felt a little deflated, I had hoped she would be a little sad at the thought of me leaving.

We had agreed I would drive to the university by myself but my dad would meet me there and help me settle in, as he lived quite close by, but I did have to ring my mum that night so I could fill her in on everything.

My drive down had been very pleasant, the roads were quiet and before I knew it the sat nav my gran had bought me as a going away present was telling me to turn into the campus. I parked up and went to find the campus coffee-shop which I had arranged to meet my dad in.

"Hiya pumpkin" He called as I walked through the door, the place was already busy so when a dozen heads turned to look at me I instinctively hid my face behind my hands. "Over here pumpkin" my dad called out louder; as he waved his hands enthusiastically I could hear several sniggers from around the room.

"Hi dad" I groaned quickly before he started shouting and I became a laughing stock. As I reached the table he jumped up and held me in a tight embrace, crushing me against him for a long time, I had a horrible feeling people were staring again.

"Hi Annabel" I deadpanned, not even bothering to look at my dad's girlfriend.

"Good morning Olivia, how was your journey?"

"Hey dad, have you been here long?" I asked, pointedly ignoring her.

"Erm no love we got here about fifteen minutes ago." He looked uncomfortable between the two of us. "Right love let me get you a drink then we'll move you in, the usual?" I nodded as he happily made his way to the counter for my hot chocolate.

"So" Annabel's tone was curt. "You don't know how lucky you are, have you got any idea how much this is costing your dad? No of course you don't." She was clearly pissed. "If I had my way you'd be getting a student loan and paying for this yourself like everyone else has to."

"Well it really is none of your business, now is it?" My tenor spiteful and a smug, ugly smirk crossed my face. "But I'm sure he'd be just as generous if the two of you had children." Then with mock regret I continued "Oh sorry I forgot you can't have children." I know it was cruel but I just didn't like her, besides who the fuck does she think she is, my parents had been saving for me to go to university my entire life, even after their divorce they still each contributed to my college fund.

As I drank my hot chocolate I could feel the hostility exuding from her and I didn't even try to hide the grin from my expression.

My dad had already located my room so it took us virtually no time to carry my belonging into the first floor room. My parents had paid the extra money so I had a decent size room with an ensuite bathroom, the full length windows opened onto a tiny veranda just big enough for a table and a couple of chairs. As I looked around I couldn't keep the smile off my face, I loved my room. I had a double bed, there was plenty of wardrobe space, a huge desk, several matching lamps were dotted around the various wooden surfaces, yes I loved my room.

"So do you like it? Will it do?" My dad asked grinning as he watched my face grow happier and happier.

"Oh yes, thank you dad, it's fantastic." I gushed as I hugged him tightly.

"Good, I'm so pleased. Now come on lets go for a look around."

As we walked round the campus I was awestruck by just how large and beautiful it was. Each building seemed to be even more historic and striking than the last. Each enormous limestone building was immaculate, with large wooden windows split and huge oak doors, whose brass ornaments dazzled in the autumn sunshine.

If that wasn't enough the gardens were well appointed and perfectly maintained, as we strolled around I marvelled at just how huge it was and doubted if I would ever find my way around. The whole place was abuzz with students and parents, everywhere I looked I could see tearful clusters saying their goodbyes, whilst the mothers clung to their children and the fathers tried valiantly to hold it together and the children awkwardly tried to console their mothers promising a whole array of resolutions they were never going to keep.

I smiled to myself as we continued our walk, with each group we encountered I heard the same pledges, 'I'll ring every night', 'I'll make sure I eat properly', 'I'll go to all my lectures' and my personal favourite - 'no of course not mum, I won't drink too much'. But still their platitudes seemed to mollify their parents. My parents were not that naive, my mum's only request was that I drop her an email once a week and I'd promised her I'd contact my dad if I needed anything.

It was a little after four by the time we made it back to my room; the plan was for my dad and Annabel to go find a takeaway whilst I unpacked my belongings. As soon as they left I eagerly started hanging my clothes up. I hadn't noticed before but my mum had packed an extra box, when I opened it inside there was a tiny fridge, just big enough for a couple of things, a toaster, a kettle, a sandwich maker, an iron and a four-way extension lead, I smiled to myself at how practical she was and knew these would save me a small fortune. Despite my accommodation including breakfast and an evening meal I would still need to buy lunch and drinks.

As I continued putting my clothes away I rang her, "Hiya mum" I said cheerily, putting her on speaker so I could carry on sorting my belongings out.

I thanked her not only for my unexpected electrical goods but also for the great room, I could hear the smile in her voice as I enthused about just how great the campus was and how much I knew I was going to love it here. We chatted easily until I heard a knock on my door.

Annabel stalked in the room holding a large bunch of flowers; she virtually threw them at me. "Erm thanks" I couldn't disguise the confusion in my tone, as I turned to put them on my desk.

"Yeah I thought they would brighten the place up." I heard him say with my back still to him.

"Where do you want me to put these?" A familiar voice asked, in an instant my head spun round, stood in the middle of my room holding a couple of supermarket bags, as bold as brass was Tom Butler.

"What is he doing here?" I snapped

*****************************************************************************************

Sorry it's taken me so long to update but I've been laid up in bed with the flu for a couple of weeks, hopefully you'll like this chapter and I will try to update in the next couple of days. Thanks for your time, your thoughts and comments would really be appreciated.