29. Unmoving

Libby's POV

With christmas now little more than a distant memory I sighed as I rested my head on Elliot's shoulder. With his dad in the study and his mum busying herself in the kitchen, we'd decided to watch a film on the TV in the living room. Although he kept resting my hand over his crotch and suggesting 'We just see what happens' I had told him this was going to remain certificate U - I'm not sure his mother could cope walking in to find us in some form or another of foreplay, so instead I held his hand and leant my head against his shoulder.

With only a couple of days left of the break I knew we would have to talk to my mum about next year and my plans to move in with Elliot. I could see her face now, the incredulous look of disbelief, which would shortly be followed by anger. Yeah I was really not looking forward to broaching the subject with her, but I'd promised Elliot everyday since we got back for christmas I'd talk to her. But my usually excuse of 'tomorrow' wouldn't cut it any more, we were running out of tomorrow's and we both knew it.

"What's up?" he asked brushing a stray piece of hair out of my eyes, I guess he could sense my stress.

"We need to speak to my mum today, I've put it off for long enough, we go back to Uni tomorrow." I couldn't hide the nervous dread in my voice.

"It'll be alright" he promised, kissing the top of my head between words.

'You have no idea' I thought as I shuddered as the furious image of my mother again filled my mind.

"Besides, it doesn't matter what she or anyone else says, we're adults they can't tell us what to do, we make our own decisions!" His sermon fell on deaf ears as although he was all gung-ho when it came to ME telling my mum, his own parents were still clearly clueless to our plans.

"There's no point in telling my parents until we've told your mum" he'd reasoned. "Once she's agreed they'll be a piece of cake, we both know they'll go along with whatever your mum decides anyway." He was right, but I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a mute point, there was no way my mum would be agreeing to this.

As the film finished I mentally prepared myself for the verbal battle I was about to undertake, I'd promised Elliot I'd talk to her but I already knew what her answer would be. I was again deliberating whether it was even worth all the aggregation; I mean she'd never agree. But with Elliot still smarting from his last face to face with Tom, I knew he needed to hear me fight for our relationship.

Despite his near breakdown that Friday, when he'd caught me and Tom in mid-embrace, mid-platonic-embrace, I hasten to add. Elliot had quickly gotten over his jealousy and had talked about nothing other than next year. He'd brought prospectuses and student housing guides with him. The entire weekend was spent reviewing and researching courses and places to live. It was reassuring to watch his focus, I loved his enthusiasm, his sheer determination that we will be together next year, no matter what.

An added bonus was that I had been kept so busy that weekend I hadn't had time to panic over the presentation on Monday. I'd kissed Elliot goodbye and rushed over to the lecture theatre hoping to have one last run through. As I burst through the doors Tom was lounging on the teachers desk at the front of the room, relaxed and sipping on a large coffee.

"It's about time too" he'd said grinning as he sat up, holding out an equally huge take away cup to me. I could smell the chocolate before I even had it in my hands. "I've set everything up, so relax, drink your hot chocolate and then we'll have a run through, ok?" I'd nodded as I slurped my still hot drink.

The presentation had gone well, despite my little melt down moments before we were due to start. I swear Tom must have seen the fear in my eyes, he smiled warmly at me before coming to stand close to my side and taking my hand he gave it a little squeeze then he whispered the opening lines to 'Livin on a prayer'. I couldn't keep the grin off my face as I recalled his impromptu concert, and with that my nerves eased. Before I knew it the presentation was over, our classmates applauded our efforts and I collapsed into my seat, exhausted as the nervous energy seeped out of me.