39. Hangover

LIBBY'S POV

Oh Jesus I'm dying, even before I was fully awake I knew I had the mother of all hangovers, and to make matters worse I knew I hadn't even had a good time last night to warrant my killer hangover. I closed my eyes again hoping I could sleep for the next 10 hours or until the skull splitting ache in my head had subsided considerably.

It was no use this mother of all hangovers was going to bitch slap me until I begged for mercy, sleeping it off was not an option. I felt my mouth watering and knew I had approximately ten seconds to make it to the bathroom before whatever I had left in my stomachs was deposited in piles on my floor. With unexpected speed and agility I made it to the toilet bowl just in the nick of time.

Ugh my day showed no signs of improving, as I sat on the bathroom floor, still wearing my dress from last night, freezing, but too ill to try to move I wanted to cry. Pathetic I know but I felt so sorry for myself. 'Get a grip' I chastised internally, as I tried to weigh up if I was safe to return to my bed and if I could handle the inevitable 'spiny head' that would surely follow if I tried to move.

After much deliberation I slowly crawled to my bed, as I clambered into it, praying my trip to the bathroom floor had worn me out enough I'd be able to sleep. I was about to pull the blankets over my shivering body when I noticed Tom eyeing me amused from the floor.

"Why are you here?" I whispered, well I think I whispered, it sounded unbelievably loud in my head.

"You've looked after me, I was just returning the favour." He shrugged. "So, do you want a cuppa, or are you going to try and sleep some more?" He looked at his watch and added "It's a little after seven, why not get some more sleep?" I went to nod my agreement but even just thinking about it had my head and stomach doing somersaults.

Despite my lack of answer Tom headed towards my fridge and got out a bottle of chilled water. "Have you got any painkillers?" He asked handing me the opened bottle of water.

"In the top draw" I croaked and pointed in the general direction of the bedside cabinet. He quickly found them and handed them to me. I could see him watching me as I swallowed the tablets.

"Try and get a couple of hours more sleep." He instructed taking the bottle off me. "I'm going to head back to my room but I'll be back about 12 with something to eat and to check how you are feeling." I didn't answer I instead chose to close my eyes and try to do as I'd been told to.

I could hear hi moving around the room, I half opened one of my eyes and watched as he bent down to collect his jeans off the floor. I stared at his toned back, strong muscular legs and damned fine behind in his black boxer shorts. I had always known Tom took good care of himself and despite seeing him in his underwear before this was the first time I'd looked at him. And I do mean really look at him, as he finished fastening his jeans and slipping his shoes on I was still staring as he turned looking for his t-shirt. With one eye still closed and the other only open a slither I now scanned his upper body. His chest was smooth and tanned and as he reached for his topi could see the peaks and troughs of his six pack stretch and contract - oh yes Tom certainly looked after himself.

"Are you checking me out?" He teased, he'd clearly caught me.

"You disturbed me with all the noise" I protested and hoped the blush on my face wasn't too obvious.

"Oh ok sorry" he said smirking "I'll see you later, now stop perving on me and get some sleep." With that he headed out the door.

TOM'S POV

I was knackered, it wasn't that the floor had been that uncomfortable it was the thought of Libby only feet away that had kept me awake all night. In my mind I kept re-enacting our kiss, the touch of her skin and the way she'd looked at me.

I'd let her sleep this morning and then at lunch I'd see where I stood, she had practically thrown herself at me last night, if she hadn't threw up I'd of woken up in her bed post coital and ready for round two. My stomach jumped at the thought of seeing her naked and touching, kissing every inch of her body, watching and hearing her reaction to my touch. 'Oh geez' I was getting carried away, if I wasn't careful the cleaning ladies would misinterpret the twitch in pants and think their luck was in.

LIBBY'S POV

"How are you feeling now?" Tom's question was slowly dragging me from my sleep. I opened my eyes gingerly and very carefully sat up. Much to my relief the brass and in my head had either taken a break or they'd split up - probably due to creative differences. Also the room had fixed on its axis so the spinning had also disappeared.

"I feel much better" I answered, a little confused by how true my statement was.

"Good" he said grinning "well time for lunch then" he handed me a large cardboard cup from the local coffee shop, which I knew contained hot chocolate and then sitting next to me on the bed he produced a large box which he opened to reveal a still hot pizza. "Tuck in" he ordered as he waited for me to take the first slice.

We ate in relative silence, the only sound was my moans of appreciation as I realised just how hungry I was. I had just begun my third slice when the events of the previous evening started coming back to me slowly, it was a bit like a jigsaw, all the pieces were there I just needed to sort them into the right order. I remembered Melissa and her toast, I remembered the endless stream of disinterested men she was pushing in my direction, I remember Downing shot after shot, I remember Tom offering to take me home. I remember...

"I kissed you last night, didn't I?" I asked sheepishly, I rubbed my hand over my eyes in the hope it's wash away my embarrassment. Oh yeah it was all coming back to me now. How I'd thrown myself at him, sad pathetic Libby.

"I did wonder if you'd remember" he answered calmly. He wasn't giving anything away, I couldn't tell if he was as embarrassed as I was or if he was upset, if he felt awkward? I just didn't know. The silence stretched on, oh shit I need to say something, make things right between us.

"Tom I am so sorry." I began, I swallowed hard as my nausea returned with a vengeance. "I know it's no excuse but I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doing." I was rambling now, I just wanted to get this over with.

"Libby it's ok" he began, but I cut him off. I needed to do this like a bandaid, quick, fast and effective.

"No Tom it's not." I breathed heavily and got my apology ready. "You have been a really good friend to me over the last few weeks and I shouldn't have used you like that, I know you are not interested in me and I know I don't have romantic feelings towards you, I was out of order and I'm sorry." There it was done. Hopefully he'd accept it was a drunken mistake and we can get back to being friends. I had never thought I'd hear myself saying this but I needed him, I needed his friendship. I'm not sure I could have coped since what happened with Elliot without him.

"It's ok, forget about it." He said quietly. Despite his reassurance I could sense his mood had dropped.

"Well if you are feeling better I'll be off." He said without looking at me, he instead busied himself with putting the rubbish back in the bag he'd brought with him. "I've got to start revising so I'll see you later." Without another word he picked up the bag and left.

'What an idiot' I chastised myself, I can't believe I'd been such an idiot. When will I ever learn my lesson - I AM NEVER DRINKING AGAIN!

**************************************

Please let me know what you want to happen with the story. I decided to split this chapter as it would be too long. I can tell you we have not seen the back of Elliot - so who do you think she ends up with, if anyone?