32. Idiot

Libby's POV

I was confused to open my eyes and see bright, Wintry sunlight streaming in through the open curtains. Surely I can't have been asleep all this time I thought as I reached for my phone on the bedside cabinet. I looked at it through blared, unfocused eyes, 10:47, I stretched my eyes as wide as I could and again looked at the phone, 10:48. No way I hadn't just slept nearly 17 hours, geez I must have been exhausted. I knew I'd needed it but my sleeping marathon had put me way behind schedule. I had hoped to be half way home by now, and yet here I was still in bed.

Reluctantly I dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and was relieved to see the grey hue which had clouded my face when I'd last looked in the mirror yesterday morning was now replaced with my normal colouring. I still felt knackered but a shower would sort me out and I'd be as good as new.

I'd dressed, applied a little make up and was just finishing off pulling my hair into a messy bun when there was a knock at my door. I looked at my watch it was nearly 12, I needed to leave, so grabbing my jacket and purse I opened the door hoping whoever was on the other side would take the hint.

Tom's POV

Oh boy did I feel rough this morning, with the room still spinning, I risked motion sickness and slowly made the painful trek to Libby's dorm. We needed to be in the school hall for six, although it was only a couple of hours drive I wanted to just get it over with and the sooner I left the sooner I could get my head back down. It was almost 12 and although I'd been full of good intensions last night and promised I'd go and see Libby in the morning before she left it was unrealistic to think I'd actually be there early. I doubted she'd still be there at this time but I thought I'd call in just in case.

I was surprised when she opened the door, but clearly not as surprised as she was to see me, her bright smile fell instantly and she narrowed her eyes and glared at me.

"I just wanted to check you were ok." I began, as I looked more closely at her I could still see tiredness in her face but the colour had returned to her cheeks and the bags under her eyes had almost completely vanished. She looked her normal, beautiful self. her expression remained stoic as she waited for me to say something else or leave. "I mean" I continued, stumbling over my words awkwardly. "The last time I saw you, well you looked ill Libs." Her eyes rolled upwards and she shook her head at me. "I was worried about you" I explained, unconsciously reaching out to touch her arm.

She pulled out of my reached quickly and scrunched her nose up in disgust. "You stink of stale beer." She said as she pushed passed me, closing the door as she did so. I shrugged my shoulders as way of an explanation and quickly followed her as she headed out the doors and towards the car park.

"Wait up!" I called as I rushed to catch up to her. With my head still spinning and stomach in nauseous knots I could really do without this. She powered on towards her car, it was obvious she wasn't ready to talk yet.

Libby's POV

As I reached my car I sighed gratefully knowing I had somehow managed to avoid another confrontation with Tom. From a few feet away I heard the central locking click of a car door opening, I glanced without thinking at the noise. and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Tom.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I called incredulously at him.

"What have I done now?" He snapped back, more than irritated.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

"Getting in my car and driving home." He replied sarcastically "did I forget to ask your permission or something?"