13. Inevitable

Libby's POV

Oh boy the weekend had been brutal. I hadn't expected I'd miss Elliot so much. Unlike the rest of the week I didn't have anything to do, I needed routine, damn it I needed something to keep me occupied.

The only break to the monotony was my dad's Sunday afternoon visit. Unfortunately his visits were blighted by the presence of his plastic girlfriend, Annabel. My dad had tried, he really had, but Annabel and I were never going to be friends...I think he'd be happy if we could just tolerate each other. Yeah it's not going to happen, sorry dad. I visualised my shoulders shrugging my apology.

Every Sunday I had a fixed arrangement that my dad would take me for lunch, a promise he'd made my mum after she'd rung him stressing I wouldn't eat properly over the weekends as my bed and board only covered Monday-Friday, so I had to fend for myself the other two days. At least she knew I'd be fattened up on Sunday with a roast, so if I was just too lazy to feed myself I'd survive until breakfast the following morning.

As well as feeding me up, my dad also took a set of towels and bedding to wash, leaving behind freshly laundered replacements. He had offered several times to take all of my dirty washing but if the last two days were anything to go by I'd be glad of the chore. I had a feeling the trip to the laundrette could be the highlight of my weekend. Besides I didn't want my dad going through my smalls or his tart of a girlfriend rummaging amongst my clothes, passing comment. So I yet again refused his generous offer.

I'd spoken to my mum Saturday afternoon, at first she was worried as she hadn't expected to hear from me until the middle of the week I reassured her everything was fine, I just had a bit of time on my hands so I thoughts I'd give my wonderful mum a call. I don't think she bought it but I do think she was glad to hear my voice and know I was okay.

I'd also spoken to Elliot a couple of times but he'd either been on his way out with the new friends he'd made or he'd just come in from being out with his new friends...completely pissed. Neither were ideal conditions for a conversation.

By Sunday night I was in a thoroughly bad mood. Annabel's snipes all through lunch had got to me a lot more than I would ever admit. After feeling like I'd been given the brush off from Elliot all weekend, because he was far too busy with his new friends. When she'd implied long distance relationships never worked she hit a nerve. Once she heard the sharp tone of my rebuff she sensed my weakness and so for the next couple of hours every chance she got Annabel stirred the churning pot of my anxiety, smiling smugly every time she struck a cutting blow.

So when Elliot's Skype request flashed up on my computer screen I half considered ignoring him as I knew I had my heckles up.

"Hey baby." He crooned, smiling broadly at his screen. Although I could feel my agitation thawing a little I was still sulking.

"Hi Elliot" I replied a little sadly, he immediately sensed my mood.

"What's wrong baby?" His smile replaced with a troubled look of concern.

"Nothing, I'm just missing you." I pouted.

"I'm missing you too." He mimicked my childish tone.

"I don't think you do though, you've barely had time to speak to me at all." I could hear the sulk in my voice but I didn't care.

"Oh Lib" he began, learning forward and stroking the screen. "I miss you so much; it's killing me not seeing you."

"Yeah well it doesn't feel like that." I cut him off and continued my pout.

"Libby" he sighed heavily before continuing. "Do you really think I'm not missing you?" of course I knew he was missing me but I needed to hear him tell me, I shrugged my shoulders knowing he would massage my bruised ego.