10. Surrealism

Libby's POV

Oh boy Monday was a long day, as well as Business Ethics I also had two other lectures, World Economics and European Politics. The highlight of my day was knowing I didn't have any classes on Tuesdays, so no matter how bad my Monday workload got at least I'd have time to catch up on Tuesdays.

As I looked at the directory of books on my third reading list of the day I realise how naive I'd been. I'd actually thought this week would be all about parties, fresher's fairs, ice breakers and generally easing myself into university - clearly American Pie was not the point of reference for student life I had anticipated it being, I was going to have to work hard and get my head in the books if I was going to survive uni.

To make matters worse I'd spent the whole day running into Tom, everywhere I went he was either already there or he was only a minute or two behind me. By our third shared lecture I had reluctantly come to the realisation he was doing the exact same degree course as me. With a defeated sigh I acknowledged avoiding him would be impossible and I surrendered to the inevitability of his presence in my life for the next three years.

Every time I'd seen him today he'd made some smartass comment about me, I'm not sure what he was hoping to achieve but I had hoped I'd be able to put the last two years behind me and start over. But it seemed he was determined to get a rise out of me, it was like he was deliberately trying to provoke me or something and stupidly I had played into his hands all day. Come on Libby, be shrewd, if he wants a reaction from you then you need to detach yourself, show him your indifference towards him. I told myself hoping a impassive response to him would quickly bore him and he'd move his attentions onto someone or something else, I didn't care I just wanted to be left alone.

With renewed determination I made the short walk to the library and immediately started to copy up my scrawl from today's lectures. It had taken me a little over an hour to rewrite my scrambled jottings into comprehensive and legible notes. Before I left I checked out a couple of the books on the reading list Professor Adams had suggested we pay particular attention to. I put them in my bag and walked across campus to my building.

It was a little after seven thirty when I eventually sank, exhausted into the soft duvet on my bed. Although the belt on my jeans dug uncomfortably into my waist there was no way I had enough energy to change out of my clothes and into pyjamas, no this would have to do.

I wasn't even sure I'd closed my eyes before the thumping on my door began. Despite me ignoring it for several minutes the knocking grew louder as did Sam and Melissa voices from the other side. Reluctantly I slid off the bed and trudged to the door, opening it and looking at them with half closed eyes.

"Oh Libby you're not ready yet!" Melissa whined in a most irritating tone.

"She's not even nearly ready!" Sam joined in an equally annoying timbre.

"Well I'm ready for bed which is the only place I'm going tonight." I answered getting ready to close the door in their faces.

"Nice try" Melissa countered all whining now replaced with steely determination. "We made plans, so get your ass in the shower now girlie." As she spoke she led my barely conscious body to the bathroom and turned on the water. "You have five minutes, if you're not out by then I'm coming in after you." She warned, and from the harshness in her voice I got the feeling she meant it.

Four and a half minutes later I emerged from the bathroom wrapped from head to toe in two towels. With glass in hand Melissa pointed me in the direction of the wardrobe and ordered me to pick something suitable out. I grabbed my favourite jeans, tight fitting black shirt and some underwear before being ushered again into the bathroom. Ten minutes later I was dressed and ready to go. My hair was still slightly damp but my customary heavy curls were already starting to form despite the extra weight of the water. I quickly stuffed my key, phone, lip-gloss and money into pockets and we headed for the door.