38. Operation Libby

LIBBY'S POV

I'd woken the next morning and for the briefest of moments I had forgotten everything that had happened. For that second before clarity, I was happy, I loved my boyfriend and he loved me. Then the memories of the previous day flooded my mind and the tears and pain started all over again. I hadn't even noticed Tom lying next to me, I'd been so caught up in my grief. But I was surprised and grateful when he remained silent and just pulled me into his arms so I could even more wasted tears.

If I closed my eyes and concentrated hard enough I could almost fool myself into believing I was wrapped in Elliot's arms - but only almost. Out the corner of my eye I spotted the red light on my phone signalling I had missed a call or text. I reached over for it, I was shaking as I looked, not really sure if I wanted it to be Elliot or not. I had 42 missed calls and 12 messages, all from Elliot.

"Baby, I'm so sorry, I love you."

"I love you Libs, I just miss you so much."

"I'm an idiot, how could I have let you slip away."

"You're the love of my life Lib's, please forgive me."

"I made a mistake, I need you."

"I love you, babe."

"She means nothing to me, I was just so lonely."

"Libby, this is over, I'm not ever going to let you go."

"Libs I love you, I'm so sorry babe."

"Libby, I love you, I will get you back."

"Libby I have to see you, I'm a mess without you."

"Libs, I'm getting a plane this morning, I'm not letting you go, I fucked up but please baby give me a chance."

His last message was sent less than an hour ago. I felt both elated and sick at the thought of him coming here, trying to win me back. I wanted him to tell me how much he loved me, needed me, wanted me - but would I ever be able to take him back, knowing what he'd done, and with that awful girl. I think I was more offended by that really, he had ruined what we had for a shag with a skank like her. The more I thought about it the more angry I became.

"What's up?" Tom asked sitting up, obviously sensing my tension.

"Nothing" I said frowning as I quickly texted Elliot back suggesting he go fuck himself.

Within a minute the phone was ringing, Elliot's name come up in the caller ID. Yes I was furious with him, but would I be able to stay strong and tell him to stay away, I loved him, I wanted him back but deep down I knew we'd never be the same again.

Tom glanced over my shoulder to see who it was calling at just after six in the morning. "Are you going to get that?" He asked, I shook my head, I wasn't ready to talk to him yet, I couldn't trust myself not to breakdown and forgive him.The phone rang and rang endlessly for the next twenty minutes.

"Would you like me to talk to him? He won't phone back again" he suggested, I don't know why but I nodded my head, perhaps I trusted this new Tom. Taking the phone from me he answered it.

"Hello, Libby's phone" he answered chirpily, he shrugged his shoulders Elliot had obviously not replied. Tom repeated his greeting "Hello, Libby's phone."

"Butler!" I could hear Elliot's voice now, he was seething "Why have you got Libby's phone? Where is she?" The anger was thick and loud in his tenor.

"She's right here." He replied, even more upbeat.

"Where is here?" I could imagine Elliot snarling through gritted teeth.

"In bed, she's lying right next to me." Elliot didn't bother replying, he instead opted to end the call. Tom looked as me and shrugged his shoulders, I'm sure he was stifling a grin.