9. Sucker!!!

Libby's POV

I managed two sips of my hot chocolate before I waved goodbye to Melissa and made my way to Business Ethics room 314.

It was only a quarter to ten but the room was already busy, it was the same lecture theatre I'd seen in countless movie; oversized screen at the front, tutor's desk and lectern, followed by row after row of raised, ascending bench seats.

The first five or six rows were filled almost to capacity as were the back three. I smiled to myself as I realised even the rebellious back rowers had gotten here early to stake their claims on the coveted seating, very rock and roll. Eyeing my options I quickly scanned the half deserted mid section, placement was everything. If I sat on my own, away from everyone I would give off a hostile, aloof aura, which could possibly lead to me spending every break time sat on my own for the next three years. No I needed to find another female student sat on her own and quickly buddy up, once you've got your first friend the rest will follow.

After another quick perusal of the vacant seats I spotted my victim, erm future BFF. She too knew the rules and had sat two seat down from a couple of girls, who had probably done the same thing...found themselves a loner and clung on for their lives, well their social lives anyway.

I made my way down the row of what I now noticed to be perhaps the most uncomfortable bench seats I had ever seen, they were narrow, high and cramped, hmmm this was going to be a long two hours.

"May I sit here?" I asked her politely.

"Oh yes" the look of relief on the girl's face I knew was a mirror image of mine.

"Hi, I'm Bailey" She said half holding her hand out for me to shake it and half waving. Doing the same awkward hand gesture I introduced myself.

It was two minutes to ten when I noticed Tom burst into the room, loud and overconfidently with half a dozen male students, making sure they made enough raucous to quieten the entire room and draw focus to them. If I was honest that was one skill I wish I possessed, Tom's unassailable ability to be popular.

I ignored the furore and concentrated on my blank page and fussed with my pen, I could almost feel the hormones soaring around the room as the girls around me eyed the newcomers appreciatively.

"Now where's my girl?" I heard Tom call out just a little too loudly as he started to make his way up the centre stairway. "Ah there she is." I continued to ignore him resuming my new fascination with my pen. I had no idea if he was deluded or conceited enough to be talking about me but I did know if I looked up and in his direction he had won. I'm sure once he knew he had my attention he would sit next to some other girl and publicly humiliate me for believing I was the one he wanted.

From the corner of my eye I noticed him pass my row; I was so relieved I didn't notice the shuffling behind me.

"There you are honey" He said sarcastically patting me on my shoulder, I didn't bother answering I just yanked my shoulder out of his reach. I could see Bailey looking at me with a look of blatant confusion and disbelief.

"Is HE your boyfriend?" She asked with a mixed fine if awe and puzzlement, as she scooted close to me.

"NO he is not, he's an arrogant tit who thinks he's God's gift." My voice had come out louder than I intended and I knew from the chuckles from the row behind he had heard me.

Tom's POV

Yeah she likes me, I couldn't contain the face splitting grin. Leaning back I planned my next move. Well I can work with that, that old sparks still there. Now I've just got to get her to stop hating me.