Chapter 8

Sugawara POV :

The first day of being third years, it would be an understatement if I said I wasn't nervous. After getting myself up and dressed I headed down the stairs to the kitchen. I think a more accurate term for starting as a third year would be - petrified. After the events that lead up to this day, mainly this weekend - I had no idea what Daichi did/did not know or how I would be treated. Part of me thinks that he is oblivious enough to not know or not care, the other part (the more emotional side) is screaming that he definitely noticed in that hug and I am so dead.

What if he did notice? What if he outs me? What if I get kicked off the team because I make everyone uncomfortable? Irrational fears and anxieties swirled in my head making it harder to breathe as I sat at the kitchen counter trying to breathe before I set off for morning practice. We arranged with the second years in the group chat to meet for morning practice and it will also allow us a discussion about the new first years we may get. If anything it will mostly be Daichi lecturing Tanaka and Nishinoya on their behaviour. 

My thoughts drifting back to Daichi caused me to panic, thinking back to the hug. "Koshi Suga booga boo!" My mum called out as she entered the kitchen to see my sat, staring into space. "Have a great day, take care of yourself during practice I don't want any first aid phone calls - also text me if you need. Your lunch is in the fridge?" She beamed happily pulling me out from my negative thinking. 

"Thanks Mum." I offered back, shaking anything negative from my mind before grabbing my lunch and beginning to head towards practice. I had the club room key as we decided that over the summer I would be the most organised and least likely to lose it - which I took as a compliment. I enjoy organisation, I like my systems and rituals it's something that soothes me, everything is ok if it goes to plan.

I stopped at the usual corner where me, Daichi and Asahi meet up to walk to school together and pulled my phone out my pocket. I had 2 messages from Daichi.

Daichi <3 : Hey Suga, I'm running late alarm clock failed me. Can you head to practice early to open with without me please?

Daichi <3 : Let me know if you get this message thanks x

Is that... a kiss on the end?  I shrugged off the unusual message before tapping out a response quickly.

You : Hey Cap'n, dont worry I'll get the club room open. Make sure you walk with Asahi right? He'll be worrying.

You : Meet us there x

It isn't weird to send a kiss back right? Just some mindless friend flirting - it happens. Usually in groups of teenage girls but it still happens nothing weird here.

I began to set off on a slow jog towards school, it was about half an hour away so I made sure to get a spring in my step. If I'm there early I can change in the club room- experience the normality of it. The thought of that put a little happy kick into my system and lit a fire under my ass to get there even faster. In the past two years I've never experienced changing in the club room like a 'normal guy' I'm always creeping around and just showing up already changed to avoid everyone.

Reaching the school at 7:30am it gave me fifteen minutes before people start arriving -that clubroom is all mine. Rushing inside to open the door I excitedly placed my bags down and began to giddily get my kit out. This is the best way to start the new school year! Quickly ripping my top off I rummage in my bag, pretending to not notice the sports bra in my bag I hoped it would clear my conscience for wearing my binder to training. I took my time putting my kit on, knowing I had time before putting my bag in the corner.

Just as I'd finished getting changed Noya and Tanaka began to enter the club room. 7:45am they were right on time for them. "Morning guys, Daichi is running late so I want you to get changed quickly and begin warming up- we arent causing him any stress on the first day back." I beamed before walking down the steps to open the gym. They both looked a little shocked at the idea that Daichi would be late - it was a pretty rare occurrence. Since being made Captain at after last years disastrous prelims he has been punctual to the next level. I suppose shit happens so he can't always be expected to be the first. I suppose that's where I come in, vice captain Suguwara.

The title ringing in my head caused pride to radiate from me. Doing my best to not let my ego inflate I began getting the volley balls out into the gym and ensuring everything was set up for when Tanaka and Nishinoya eventually get their asses here after changing.

The beginning of practice went well, at 8:15am a stressed Daichi ran into the gym, he looked thrown together and had eye bags showing his lack of sleep. "Morning!" I called over as Asahi followed him in. "We've been working on our serving, wanna join?" I tried to not sound too in charge. Not wanting to overstep my boundary as vice captain.

"Apologies guys, for letting myself and Asahi be late. It wont happen again." He bowed his head to everyone briefly before gathering us all round so he could talk to us about what kinds of first years we may be getting and how to not be 'bad influences'.

It was soon the end of practice and time to change ready for class, before people could get to the club room I raced there grabbing my bag before heading to the toilets to change. First day of class as a senior student, fingers crossed it will be ok.