Chapter 48

Daichi POV : 

For the majority of practice things ran pretty smoothly, warm-ups were done properly for once and everyone was working on serves and receives. It was a light practice for the morning, allowing people to just wake up before classes and train. Being a believer in routines, I enjoyed the concept of morning practice and despite coach Ukai retiring, I didn't want us to forget about the morning practice slot. It was the best way to make use of our time and was always something positive. I enjoyed seeing my team before class, it helped me mentally prepare for the evening practice sessions, allowed me to socialise a little before a teacher inevitably picks on me to answer questions. There is a weird sense of familial comfort amongst team members and it relaxes me beyond belief - I suppose me hauling everyone from their beds is a little selfish but I enjoy it. 

Suga was wearing Asahi's jumper, presumably he had swapped into something more gym appropriate than a binder. I didn't have perfect knowledge but it was nice to know that they had listened to the team when it came to their health - I was just hoping that they hadn't sacrificed mental health to achieve physical health. I watched them closely on the court, watching their serves fly across the net with a sense of accuracy. They weren't a special server, they didn't need to be. They were a strong player across the board - a jack of all trade and master of none - but meant in the best way possible. Their wide skillset made them a valuable player and they were someone I always found myself gravitating towards when watching in a game. Every hit was done with purpose and intent to the point it was almost terrifying. 

I could sit and watch him play for days, years, the rest of my life if I had the chance. "Hey Suga!" I called over finally standing from the bench. I was itching to practice, to get involved in anyway I could manage. "Do you think... I can maybe work on my receives?" I knew if I just started doing it he would 'mom-mode' me, either try and protect me by wrapping me up in cotton wool or he would let chaos begin and then watch. Just before he could answer me Hinata appeared from out of nowhere causing me to jump a little at his sudden presence. 

"Suga, I'm confused and Kageyama won't stop yelling at me when I as-" He never finished his sentence before a perfectly aimed volleyball flew across the gym and hit Hinata in the back of the head. So these were our kids - our mental, stupid, incompetent at social situations - volley ball kids. Why am I the captain again? It could have been Asahi - he could have parented all this. Why did I decide to do this? I looked back up at Suga who was a little shocked at the events that had just unfolded, I mean he was about to answer a question then an oversized tangerine got assaulted by a volleyball. It wasn't an easy situation to wrap his head around honestly and I was left a little shocked. 

However, it didn't take long for the mum-mode to take effect as he began checking over the back of Hinata's head for marks or signs it will bruise. "Hinata, just get on with practice at the end I'll tell everyone all together and explain, ok?" He tilted his head with that perfect Suga smile. His eyes closing as he just radiated safety. He could be lying to my face yet if he flashed that smile everything would melt and I'd believe him. With that smile he could stab me and I would thank him. Fuck am I a simp? Suga turned to me after the redhead had scampered back to his aggressive... friend? Are they friends? Are they enemies? I don't know I was struggling to keep up with whatever dynamic they were trying to achieve. "Hey, don't worry and I'd rather you chill on the bench honestly. If you injure yourself further we are going to be so fucked as a team in the new year. Think of nationals and sit patiently." He patted my shoulder reassuringly and I sulked my way back over to the bench. The bench I had learnt to despise.

Practice was coming to an end and everyone had gathered, sitting in a semi-circle around me and Suga as we usually did. Before I could speak Suga instead stepped forwards. "So, as you know I am trans... if you didn't know I guess this morning has been a bit of a give away." I watched as he looked over his teammates attempting to gauge their reactions, instead he saw Hinata raising his hand on the end. "Hinata it is a binder! It's a binder... it isn't scary or dangerous, you can stop annoying Kageyama now." He ended up turning to glare lightly at Hinata who slowly lowered his hand. "I know it's kinda weird and confusing and a little hard to understand so... if you have any questions just come and ask me. As long as you are respectful about it I will answer as best I can." He let out what felt like a heavy breadth as he continued to look over the unusually quiet team. 

"You're pretty badass." Noya called out, it was nonchalant and bluntly honest. It wasn't a pity compliment it was just... Noya being Noya. A no filtered mess that somehow managed to say the right thing. "And regardless of how you started you're still our Suga so don't sweat it." He stood and put his hands on his hips looking proud of his mini pep-talk. What is it with Nishinoya and hyping people up? Suga stood there awkwardly with a blush on his face. He seemed more relaxed, as if a weight had been removed from his chest and he looked finally comfortable standing before his team.