Chapter 38

Daichi POV : 

Monday morning, I was opening up for morning practice, fumbling with the key, stood there in the cold wishing I was proficient with my left hand. I had managed to open the clubroom door after a good five minutes of fumbling around. You just had to be an idiot aye? Despite the clear reminder of my stupidity, I wasn't dwelling on it, I couldn't change it now could I?

I heard someone clear their throat behind me, it was Suga - not in kit for once. He walked past me into the clubroom and put their bag down before beginning to change in silence. "You make it really hard to not be mad at you know." He hissed a little at me as he stripped himself of his shirt, exposing his binder as if this had happened a million times before. "You are a fool. A reckless, barbaric moron." He lectured me as he got into kit and when he was finally changed he put on a smile - the positivity was catching me off guard. He went from being disappointed to his normal self in 0.3 seconds. "But despite your stupid flaws - and trust me there is a long list, you're still my Daichi." He grinned before walking past me, taking the keys form my hand and going to open the gym. I stood there stunned - did he really just act like nothing had happened?

I wasn't sure how to react, or if I should react. I wasn't sure what to say or do, unsure whether he had thrown up a front or if he was actually ok. I decided to try and think about volleyball and focus on that as I began to change in the empty clubroom. Tanaka for once arrived before the majority and then noticed the cast on my arm.

"Daichi my man what happened?" He asked, he had his usual loud tone which was way too loud for this early in the morning. I gave him a quick smile before explaining that I had fallen down the stairs, I would reassure everyone that it was nothing, maybe if I say it enough I'll begin to believe it myself. I knew that I wouldn't but the hope still persisted.

Despite being on the bench for the entirety of practice - and having Takeda watch me like a hawk as per my mothers request - the morning practice went well. Nishinoya and Asahi both showed up for the first times since before summer break. They seemed to be in better spirits but I also knew they were mostly there by my mums request as well. After my outburst it was as if everyone had decided to monitor me - the new nut-job or the family. I sat back on the bench watching everyone play as Takeda Sensei took a seat beside me.

"How long are you out of the game?" He asked making conversation, but the conversation felt like salt in my already sore wounds.

I felt a grimace as I had to face the fact I'd be on the bench until I'm healed up. "10 weeks." It would be after the Christmas break when I can play again. Way after, we are only in September and like a moron I've ensured myself that I'm out of commission. "Sorry but at least on the side-lines I can still help and support the team." I tried to reassure myself, posing it as if it was just friendly conversation but it was an internal cry for help. I just wanted to be ok, but my self regulation just doesn't seem to work. I either feel nothing in particular or everything all at once. It felt alien to be sat on the side-line. I hate it but what can I do?

"Takeda can I just try and practice with my left hand?" I asked, I needed to be in the court with my team. I wanted it more than anything.

He ended up giving a quick scoff before responding, "Erm no. Absolutely not. You need to let your body heal and that's ok. Don't push beyond your limits Daichi." I simply nodded as a response, he was right. That and the only reason I'm not in a heap of agony right now is thanks to some very strong pain killers. I would be useless on the court currently.

As practice came to a close everyone began to filter out the gym. I made my way back to the clubroom, shoulders slumped in defeat. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Well, I guess I get changed and go to school. I felt people watching me, inspecting the cast as if they were trying to find the answers to the questions they didn't ask.

"Yes my arm is in a cast, it will be in a cast for ten weeks... I fell down some stairs and it broke in two places. I will be benched until the new year. Does that answer all the questions?" I asked as I finished changed and grabbed my bag, hauling it over my left shoulder and turning to face the audience I never asked for. I then turned to Asahi, "Hey you mind locking up?" He nodded with a smile and gladly caught the keys I threw.

I just wanted to leave, but instead I now have an entire day of lessons to drag myself through. This is going to be a nightmare, how am I supposed to make notes with my left hand? I guess I'll have to do my best then at lunch I'll try and type everything on my phone- then tonight I can put it all onto my laptop?

A voice pried me from my mind, "Dai! So we have a lot of the same classes, well I'm smarter than you but..." he laughed at his own joke and I recognised the honey sweet voice without even seeing him. What is Suga doing in school? I thought he was staying home to do his lessons online? I thought his parents and the principal agreed it would be best for him to avoid conflict. "Well I can give you some of my notes and stuff, help you since you're now going to be even more terrible at history." he had his usual sense of humour - sarcastic and sassy but with love behind it. 

"I thought you were doing your lessons online." I stated turning to face him, he simply smiled his trademark smile at me and shook his head.

"Come on Daichi, you've known me long enough now to know I can't stay away from ya for too long. So you got history first right?" He smiled before taking my school bag off my shoulder and beginning to walk me to class. 

Suga... is everything ok? After everything that happened how are you still smiling? How are you still smiling at me?