Chapter 39

Sugawara POV :

I had successfully escorted Daichi into his first class, placed his bag down for him and given a quick wave as I walked out and down the corridor to my own class. My day fell intk a routine, a new routine but a routine nonetheless. I would leave my class, go to Daichi's lesson, pick up his bag and walk him to his next class. He would thank me, sit down and then I would leave to my own class and this continued without problem up until lunch.

I had met Daichi after he had finished mathematics, he seemed in good spirits. He wore a giddy smile and seemed to have a twinkle in his eye. He looked so cute, as if he had opened a gift on christmas and was beginning to realise his luck. You're beautiful when you smile.

We were laughing and joking as we made our way to meet the friendly giant. Asahi was sat outside on the school steps, with Nishinoya sat next to him. They appeared to be in a deep conversation that was quickly silenced as we neared them. "May we join the happy couple?" I smiled, knowing it would wind Nishinoya up and cause Asahi to blush a little. My slice of evil for the day had been accomplished as Noya began yelling at me to keep it quiet and Asahi simply decided his bento-box was the most interesting thing in the world. I really had missed this when attending my lessons online. Sitting alone, in my room reading  a worksheet I don't wholly understand and something I lack a direct explanation to. My lack of social stimulus had hit hard though, despite not being an overly people orientated person - I needed my people to almost recharge my batteries.

"Hey feels like ages since we ate lunch together." Daichi smiled sitting beside me after I had parked myself comfortably next to Asahi. I smiled at him, in reality it had only been a week of missed lunches together - but I knew what he meant. It felt as if the three of us hadn't done this in years. It felt right sitting here with everyone again, and not being so ashamed of who I was. For some reason with everyone knowing, I felt lighter - as if my past was no longer a dirty secret but just part of who I was. 

Daichi put his hand on my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. I felt myself relax at his gesture. He didn't need to say anything, he just needed to be there and he was. He was here, next to me, showing me he cared. The contact felt warm, like it was needed after everything that had happened. "So this evening I'm going to yours. You are going to need help after the state of your notes from today." I said smugly glancing at Daichi before diving into my onigiri. He frowned at me with his mouth agape.

"My notes aren't that bad." He huffed to which Asahi and Nishinoya both broke out laughing.

I joined them in their chorus of laughing, "Yes they are Dai. Not to be mean but they weren't anything to brag about before you had to write with your left hand... I dread to see them now." I smiled playfully, he was easy to taunt and I enjoyed winding him up. You'd expect with him being the oldest that he would be used to it but I guess that's something that just makes Daichi so... Daichi. He is incredibly easy to annoy.

Daichi began trying to speak, he looked to be struggling to formulate words, or more accurately he was struggling to form an excuse of why I couldn't go over. "Oh but it's a bit short notice for my mum is all..." He was very clearly lying. His hand was rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly and he was looking everywhere but at me.

"Nonsense your mum loves me... and after the stunt you pulled I'm sure having you under supervision would be something she'd appreciate." It came out harsher than I intended but it definitely stopped his excuse as he hung his head in shame at the mention of him rage punching his wall. Fucking moron, if Asahi hadn't of told me I'd have been oblivious to your stupidity Sawamura! The thought of Daichi wanting to hurt himself or feeling the need for such an extreme thing made me ache. It caused warning bells to ring in my head and my maternal instincts to kick in. He was a crow and I needed to protect my flock. Even if it was protecting them from themselves.

Then my mind wondered to Asahi and Noya, it began drifting to the fact I had been blissfully unaware of their relationship and reignited my burning need to know EVERYTHING! "Suga I don't like how you're looking at us..." Asahi breathed out, it sounded like he expected which made my life easier.

"I have questions and I want answers." I looked up at the sky thinking of what to ask first. "Have you two done it... Asahi if you've tainted my baby Nishinoya I will hang you up to dry." The maternal instinct had kicked in and the accusation caused the accused to turn a deep shade of red.

"No! We haven't I wouldn't do that." Asahi began flustered as he held his hands up in surrender and Nishinoya tried to hide behind him. The mum stare was in effect as I tried to pick apart his composure, searching for the holes in his front. I couldn't find any, he seemed pretty genuine.

Daichi was laughing at everything, watching the 'family drama' unfold. "Calm down Sugamama, your baby crows will leave the nest eventually. You got to accept that... and now you have the first years to worry about I think Asahi and Noya are the least of our concerns." I scowled at him. Well he clearly doesnt take my role as designated mum friend seriously. Speaking of it's his turn for the mum-glare.

"Daichi Sawamura have you taken your pain medication?" He suddenly fell silent, shooting a glance past me to Asahi as if begging for his help. "Yeh that's what I thought, take your meds and mind your business." I shoved a rice ball into my mouth half admitting defeat and half revelling in the victory of knowing exactly how to push peoples buttons. I only mock you because I love you guys... promise.

The rest of the day went by smoothly as I found myself waiting for Daichi outside the front of the school, ready to walk with him to his house. Asahi had gone ahead with Noya, mentioning something about how me and Daichi needed time alone. I ended up chuckling at the thought. Asahi if you think you're being sneaky... I already have a plan in motion and I won't let the idiotic Captain run away this time. Not again.