Chapter 44

Daichi POV :

"I don't want to overstep but don't you need to take your binder off before you go to sleep?"

I felt like a fool, the second it left my lips I knew it was overstepping

Way to put someone on display like that Daichi, as if he were something for me to hopelessly protect. What are we? Do I even have the right to ask that question - to even suggest it is in his best interest? Can I save this conversation from hostility?

I sat there looking at Suga as he hid himself behind a curtain of his hair, leaning forward his head flopped as he stared at his cupped hands on his lap. I wanted to outstretch my hand to him, would that be ok? After the confession, the boundaries of where we could go with each other seemed blurred and I was cautious. I don't want to overstep anything but if we were still just friends I would probably pull him into a hug, or squeeze his shoulder reassuring him I am still here. But instead, I just watch. I sit there staring at him, feeling the weight of the atmosphere fall around us. At first the silence was an uncomfortable blanket floating around us but slowly it was beginning to distort and twist into the feeling of cold plastic, forcing it's way around us - suffocating and choking us both. 

Shit! Do something you moron, say something... anything. 

I couldn't speak so instead I decided to let my actions talk as I stood slowly and went over to my small closet. I opened it pulling out Suga's usual futon and placing it by the door before finding some oy my largest pyjamas, hoping they would be large enough to hide anything he wanted. I finally pulled out a fresh toothbrush and a towel placing them next to him on the bed. If the silence wasn't choking me, my thoughts would flutter around, thinking about the butterflies in my chest at offering Suga a toothbrush he could keep here. He looked up from the set up to see me standing in-front of him awkwardly. He smiled quickly before looking back at his lap as if trying to find words. I took to the floor, sitting in front of him cross-legged, waiting for a response. From my new angle on the laminate floor, I could see his mouth beneath his wall of hair. It was straight, numb, showing him thinking, or perhaps contemplating. 

He eventually breaks the silence, shuffling his fingers around themselves, fidgeting to hype himself up. "Thank you." I saw the corners of his mouth twitch upwards only for a split second. I grinned to myself, as I stood and pulled him up into a hug. "I'm sorry for making it weird." He mumbled into my shoulder as he hugged me back. I shook my head, knowing he couldn't see it but I felt the relief come crashing around me, as if someone had torn holes in the plastic allowing the air to refill my lungs. 

"Don't mention it. It's new, new boundaries - I will do whatever makes you smile Suga." He nodded on my shoulder, grabbing fistfuls of my shirt before leaning up to gently kiss me. I offered a shy kiss back, it wasn't as needy as before, or as serene as up sky tree - it was more a normal kiss. The spark igniting just enough to confirm my love and admiration for the beautiful snowy haired boy before me, but normal enough to get rid of an anxiety I never knew I was carrying. 

Things have changed but he is still  Suga, he is still here and we can figure out the scary bits together.

Our lips pulled apart reluctantly as I rest my forehead on the top of his head, watching as he buried himself into my shoulder again. "C'mon we need sleep. Got practice tomorrow and it's getting late." I smiled as he looked up at me, radiating comfort. "So why don't you tell Eijiro his bedtime story whilst I go and get a shower. Then I can turn the lights out and it will be the same as normal. You creeping in and onto your futon by the door." I smiled. I don't think he realised how often I noticed him sneak into the room. How many times I'd pretended to be asleep for his comfort, shielding him from the embarrassment I knew he would face. I turned on my heel to leave for the shower, jogging back into the room giving him a quick peck on the cheek before scurrying back into the bathroom. 

I turned on the shower with a grin as I began to strip from my loungewear. I was about to step into the shower when I remembered about the cast on my arm. Shit, I can't get this wet... I grumbled before tying a towel around my waist and trudging back into my room. My sudden presence causing Suga to choke on his bottle of pop and look away quickly. He'd seen me shirtless before, this isn't anything new. "What are you doing, you haven't showered that fast." He blurted out in a panicked tone. I ended up laughing, chuckling more at how he had defensively recoiled into the corner of my bed, pushing himself into the wall as if that would allow him to sink away.

"Suga... your gay is showing." I smirked, the comment normally winding him up. Especially after he came out to us, it was all in good fun and he knew this often biting back. Instead this time he just stared at me, trying his hardest to look at my face and not my body, it was painfully obvious as he forced the eye contact. 

He frowned to himself after a moment of staring at my smug face, "Daichi, we are literally dating." He stared at me mouth agape for a bit before going back to a confused frown with pursed lips. "Of course my gay is showing!" He let his eyes slip a little, looking down at my body and the line of my towel before quickly looking back up. I felt my smirk increase, it felt nice to be adored by his eyes in such a way, as if he was trying to savour me. It felt mutual after the amount of times I found myself trying to memorise his features in Tokyo. 

However, I hadn't come here to be adored and the sound of the shower water running away reminded me of my previous mission. I turned my back to Suga, hearing a little gasp causing me to blush. Why is he so precious? I began searching in my drawers for a carrier bag and tape. It was the best solution I could think of to cover my forearm. "So... why aren't you in the shower?" He managed to choke out, he cleared his throat twice. Am I getting him this flustered? He's seen my shirtless countless times... I mean the whole team has. Is he ok? I turned to face him again offering a sheepish smile as I held a carrier bag and some tape only furthering his confused. 

"I need to waterproof the cast for the shower... So this is my solution." I explained as I began trying to precariously get the carrier bag on my arm and then fiddled with the tape in my single hand. I must look like a fumbling fool as he stands and begins to try and help me. It was my turn to experience an overload of gay panic. When he was sat on the bed, I had this air of confidence due to the distance between us but now, now he was holding my upper arm to steady it as he carefully re-wrapped the carrier bag on my cast. I felt myself stop breathing as he looked up at me smiling at the new power he held. I know he saw it, he got an evil glint in his eyes as he finished wrapping my cast in it's shower condom. I inspected his handy work and in my moments distraction he pulled me in to a hug, his hands roaming across my bare skin, tracing shapes around the muscles of my back. He pulled away, his hands not leaving me only slinky around to feel the warmth of my torso. His cold fingertips dancing across my skin leaving a tingling burning sensation. I just watched his face as he inspected my reactions, the evil glint never leaving his eyes. 

His hands rested on my hips, causing the spit in my mouth to get caught and my to choke a little bit. Which only deepened his smirk before he pulled his hands away from my hips, my skin aching at the sudden loss of contact. "Go on lover-boy, shower's running away." He offered a wink as he gave me another once over. "Huh..." His eyes looked at the outline in the towel as something had made itself known. 

Oh my god. Why? Why did I have to get a boner right now? Is this appropriate - absolutely not. Right Daichi, you can either play this off as flirty or you can allow embarrassment to consume you. 

I played each scenario in my mind, I could either look away blushing and return to my shower. Pointing out how mean and evil he is... 

-OR-

I could simply lean into his ear and whisper something smart, something flirty like "It's all for you." Then confidently leave for my shower and then allow embarrassment to swamp me behind the door.

The coin flip in my head happened in a split second as I decided cowering was the current objective, too soon in our relationship to be that level of flirting. Also if he pushed it further I would definitely chicken out. I don't want to rush things so instead I felt the blush coat my face as I looked away from him, "You're evil Sugawara." I muttered before hurriedly dragging myself into the bathroom where I closed the door, locked it and allowed the steam to consume me. 

That could have gone better...