Chapter 11

Asahi POV:

I thought it was odd when Daichi decided to turn up outside my house, told me he needed to speak to me. Initially my brain started melting thinking of all the things I could have done wrong. Since I had quit the volleyball club and we were now back at school I thought it would be that. I saw him stood at my garden gate, looking at me through the window with raised eyebrows - implying I needed to come down to meet him. My phone with the text messages clutched to my chest.

Daichi : Asahi, this is important. Come speak to me

Daichi : I can literally see you through the window.

Daichi : Beardless Jesus come here!

Daichi : Now!

Sighing, knowing the messages wouldn't stop as my relentless friend stared up at me, I threw on a jumper and my slippers walking out to meet him. He had his hands in his hoodie pockets, looking tired but furious about something. This is because I'm a coward, because I quit practice. I stood in my doorway looking at him, his eyes didn't falter - there was this unearthly presence about him, as if I was supposed to cower. It was working if his plan was to intimidate me. Shuffling cautiously down my driveway I started to worry more - I can't deal with my best friend yelling at me. He's scary when he's angry. I was hoping he would just not notice, take my leave as something that would happen anyway and let me be.

"Daichi if this is..." I began trying to plead my case but was instantly cut off by his stern voice.

"Have you heard anything around school?" There was urgency there, I don't think I have ever seen him like this. Looking so worried and enraged, there was never anything that could put him in a mood like this. Until this evening I guess. When I didn't answer and stood there looking back at him confused, he let out a groan and looked up at the sky. "It's the first day back and I didn't say anything so who started it?" He then looked back at me frowning, "Did you say something? Do you know something? Why would Suga tell you and not me...?" Questions were firing at me quicker than I could compute and his rage had worn off to something more tired and hurt, exasperation taking over his appearance. 

I frowned again looking at him crumbling before me, "Did Suga tell me what? Daichi I've no idea what's happening... I thought you were here to tell me off." I reassured going up to him and pulling him into a hug. Honestly, it looked like he needed it. Rather than bothering to hug me back, he remained stood, arms by his side as if he was in a trance. "Can you tell me what's up?" I prompted hoping to get the normal Daichi back rather than this shell of the person I knew. 

"There's rumours going around that Suga is... That Suga is a girl. After I hugged him yesterday I thought I felt something but anyway, I didn't care it's Suga and he would tell us when ready right... but someone is spreading stuff and the only other person I thought who could know with Suga's permission would be you - I thought he may have told you something..." His rambling was back, his brain trying to piece together bits as he was spewing the information out. "Wait... You don't know either, why would you share something like that? You're too cowardly to even offer someone you don't know your name half the time..." Gee thanks for that Daichi, really needed that confidence boost. 

He began laughing at himself, as if thinking to accuse me was the best joke he had heard in a while. I'm relieved the shouting had stopped but I can't say I was exactly caught up. "We can't let Suga hear the rumours." Daichi told me grabbing my shoulders. "I went past his locker and there were notes and stickers... names, slurs, the whole works. We don't even know it's true so we have to protect our friend." The serious stare was back in his eyes as he gripped onto me. "Please Asahi, just help me stop this spiral... you know how Suga gets." The last bit came out as almost a whisper. Yeh, I know how he can get. 

My mind began to wonder back to that time we went to training camp in first year, he didn't manage to complete a single successful set over the course of an entire trip. He kept his smile up but it wasn't the same, like some fake copy and pasted smile. One he would throw on to reassure you but you can see the swirling hatred for himself behind his eyes. That was over sport, if a serious rumour blew up - he's crash. I don't think going to his house with ice-cream and chick-flicks would fix a crash like that.

I nodded my head to Daichi who at this point just looked exhausted, "Look I'll help where I can, why don't you stay here tonight - you look ready to collapse." I offered beginning to walk him inside. He's so busy worrying about Suga crashing he is setting himself up for a crash. Look at him, mind racing, lack of sleep, coupled with the stress of volley ball. He needs at least three more of himself to balance everything and remain sane. He began to protest as we neared the door, "Shut up, I'm not letting you walk home at this time of night, in this state... Come on, I'm temporary mum friend. You're coming inside."

He followed me in reluctantly, "You eaten?" I asked him as I guided him to the dining room table before walking into the kitchen, he shook his head at me, "Moron." It was weird taking care of Daichi, I began trying to think if I had ever seen him so bent out of shape for someone before, maybe it is something he keeps more behind the scenes - why was this time different? At least I know he fiercely protects his friends, in a way that's oddly reassuring even if he does nearly destroy himself doing it. I don't think I could protect anyone as fiercely... maybe Noya if push came to shove... Wait? 

I took him a cup of tea and a thrown together sandwich before looking him over eyes wide as he messaged his Mum. "You like Suga!" I smiled piecing it together, he looked up dumbfounded.

"No I..."

"Shut up yes you do." I cut him off, "I know you look after your mates, but you are literally running yourself into the ground with stress right now, this is more than protecting a friend." I began, this is maybe the most confident I've sounded in ages. 

"No... This is more than just a friend. This is people being complete and utter TWATS! It is the first day back, I am tired, I am exhausted, I had someone ask me if Suga was a woman, then there was the fucking first years and the principal toupee incident, not to mention the notes on his locker! I'm just furious..." He took a deep breath, "Everything that could have gone wrong on the first day today, has collapsed around me. I am supposed to be the team captain, I'm supposed to get us to nationals today - and I can't even get back to my own house without looking at my friend for a crutch." His fists clenched on the table. His fierce independence getting the better of him, denting his pride. 

I offered him a soft smile before sitting beside him, "Hey, there's nothing wrong with relying on people for a crutch. Look at me..." I avoided his gaze, knowing if I met his eyes my sudden speech would escape me. "In our last game I couldn't get a single spike... if it wasn't for my team around me I would have left the court then and there. I lost my love for the game but I didn't lose my pride on the court." His hand reached around me giving me a side hug resting on my shoulder. "C'mon you've had my back more times than I can count since first year... let me have yours for once. You can't protect Suga if you're turning yourself into mush... I'll help where I can." My words seemed to offer comfort. 

I lead him upstairs and dragged out a futon beside my bed for him. "Look, we can set off together, you open up the gym and clubroom - I will check Suga's locker and get some extra studying in. Tell Suga you will meet him there so we can get there earlier and make sure everything is as it should be." I told Daichi my plan and nodded in agreement before we got ready for bed and settled. 

"Thanks Asahi..." He muttered quietly, "And I'm sorry."