Chapter 41

Sugawara POV :

Eijiro is just the cutest! I was doing my best to make sure I managed to at least make contact with every ball the little lad was throwing my way. He seemed proud of his throws and I don't wanna crumble that pride. I would occasionally glance across at Daichi who was sat on the wooden decking, watching me and Eijiro. It looked surreal, like he was a father overlooking his son, the dinosaur plushie that was sat beside him only solidifying the fantasy in my head. Could I maybe have this one-day? Could I share this again with him in the future? 

I shook the thought out of my head as his mum walked out briefly to invite us all inside for dinner. Chiyo always made the most amazing meals, I loved being on first name basis with Daichi's mum, it was like she would just adopt all of her children's friends - protecting them fiercely as if they were her own. It was sweet and she was really kind and down to earth. I gently put the ball down as the three of us began to make our way inside and to the table. "Suga, I'm sorry I don't have an extra chair." She began apologising but I cut her off. 

"Don't worry about it Chiyo, I don't - just tell me where you want me to sit and that is where I will go." I smiled widely at her, appreciating her making me a meal and wanting to set a place at her table for me.

Daichi was sat chuckling to himself, "It is still weird to hear you on first name basis with her." He laughed nudging me lightly in the ribs with his left arm. I simply scowled at him before grabbing his plate and sitting it in-front of him on the table. "Mum why don't me and Suga take it upstairs, that way there's still room for everyone else and Suga doesn't have to eat alone." Daichi offered, it was a good plan but I didn't want to claw him away from his family at mealtime. Chiyo nodded as she handed me both plates and Daichi collected the cutlery. 

"Sorry to drag you away from the table." I apologised as I nudged his bedroom door open with my foot, he simply laughed at me shaking his head in response.

He placed the cutlery down on his desk, allowing me to grab what I needed before he sat cross-legged on his floor looking up at me as I sat on his bed. "Don't apologise, it is safer for everyone to be away from that table." He began to try and tear his food apart, the lack of proficiency with his left hand clearly showing. "I give it about ten minutes before Mizuki starts mocking Sakura, then from that Keji will get involved, then that will lead to either a utensil being thrown or Eijiro crying - or both." It sounded as if mealtimes followed their own chaotic routine in the Sawamura household. 

I began to dig into my food, "It sounds fun, like there's never a dull moment." I grinned back, it reminded me of myself and Rei growing up. We were always at one another's throats - threatening to end the other over mild trivial things. Occasionally it would end with a late night ER trip if it got bad - it was never serious but it was always serious enough to cause Mum to have a heart attack and Dad to start panicking. "Sakura and Mizuki remind me of Rei and I when we were younger. Hate each other until someone else joins in." I chuckled as Daichi just watched me, his eyes didn't leave me. It wasn't an uncomfortable stare it looked like he was trying to dissect me, to pick apart my being to rearrange it in his mind.

"Sorry." He mumbled pulling his eyes away with a peach blush spreading across his cheeks as he returned his attention to hacking at his food. We ate in relative silence, only the odd short conversation breaking out, he seemed very preoccupied with managing his food, his chopsticks failing him as he attempted to do anything with them in his left hand. "I know this is rude, I apologise but..." The stabbing sound of his chopstick going straight through his chicken was heard and made me laugh to myself. "I really am having no luck picking this up." After that we both had managed to clear our plates. In the silence I decided to put some music on, just letting my playlist blare out as Daichi returned his attention to his notes which were beginning to slowly take shape. 

My cringe indie music coming to show me up, however it can only show me up if I give in and pretend it embarrasses me. I saw Daichi look across at me as Beach Bunny by Cloud 9 started playing. "What I watch romance films, read romance novels, spend a lot of my time trying to ship people - are you honestly surprised this is in my playlist?" I asked causing him to think it over before shaking his head. "God stop being such a macho man and come and sit with me, you oaf." I joked as he took my not so subtle hints and sat next to me happily on his bed. I was sat there just leaning against him as I swayed my head to the music, thinking of how sickeningly the lyrics described myself. Self projection much Koshi, sheesh even my playlist is coming for me today. 

However, I didn't imagine it when Daichi slowly took my hand, our fingers intertwining. The song changing to something slower. What do I do? Do I look at him, make a note of it? Do I call him out, I don't want him to run away again. I instead laced my fingers with his, giving his hand a gentle squeeze as I simply rested my head on his shoulder. Is this really happening - what is with these mixed signals? He is going to pull away any second and then it's going to hurt me again... he can't make up his mind. I felt myself getting nervous at the idea he would run from me again.

I turned to look up at him only to see he was looking down at me resting on his shoulder, he looked awestruck, he was just watching me with a blush on his cheeks. I felt myself staring back, searching in his eyes for any signs of - anything. Did it look like he was going to leave? Did he seem scared? Passionate? Relaxed? I couldn't read him, he was just searching my eyes in exchange, not tearing himself away like he usually did when I would catch  him looking. It had almost become a challenge, a comfortable competition of who would look away first. I found myself blushing and turning away trying to comprehend what was happening?

No Sugawara Koshi, if you hand over this power to him, you're going to get left behind. That is the only common trend - Daichi has initiated then run. No, this is my turn. 

After the mental pep-talk I turned back to face him, pushing my lips onto his. It wasn't as graceful as it was at sky tree, it felt needier, more confused. The relaxation of our first kiss gone, this one was desperate and testing the waters. He eventually melted into it, kissing me back gently, his left hand gently reaching around to cup the back of my neck as I pressed my palm against his chest. His heart was fluttering, he was beginning to relax into it - and so was I. It was losing the sense of desperation it started with and began to feel wanted rather than needed. 

He lowered himself to be laying on the bed, my lips following his as I was resting on my elbows over him, afraid to collapse in-case I were to injure him. I was treating him like a fragile porcelain doll, I didn't want to break him, have him nearly leave again. I don't want to clean up the pieces this time. The kiss broke apart as he laid there looking up at me. "Y-you k-kissed me." He blushed looking like he didn't quite believe it. "This isn't another dream, you're not going to go scary again?" He then looked mildly panicked as I just chuckled over him.

"So you dream about me?" I smirked looking over how flustered he looked. 

He frowned a little, "I wouldn't take it as a compliment, it was sleep deprivation coupled with some weird google searches and it bred a monster in my head." He returned his attention to searching in my eyes again. He looked more relaxed, he seemed to have accepted his place in the small cage I had created over him with my being. "You're beautiful." He breathed out causing my to blush. 

"Shut up moron, you can't just spew shit like that out." I hit his chest gently before resting on my elbows over him again. The slow playlist still playing in the background but it was beginning to feel further away as we were enthralled with each others attention. So what did this mean? What do I say? I did have a plan for this but... I can't remember it.

I looked him back over, he was just laid beneath me, his left hand cupping my cheek, his brown eyes were enough for me to get lost, he had a soft glow to him as if he was exuding happiness. It felt like I was seeing him at his most vulnerable, most pure - all his internal self-defences finally crumbling for me, granting me access to Daichi Sawamura. To the real Daichi, not the front he shows everyone else, but almost like this was the Daichi only I could see. I had once again wormed my way to his weakest spot and was finding myself at a loss for words as I admired him. He was a different type of beautiful, he was more handsome, his angled face creating edges around the fluffy atmosphere.

"Can I say something?" I breathed out, it's now or never. I can't let this pass - not again. "I want to tell you something."