Chapter 21

Daichi POV :

Asahi was getting the cookie dough ready, I wasn't really sure what to do, baking hadn't really been my thing. Instead I was sat on the worktop watching him as I went onto my messages to see if Suga had responded - or at least read my messages. I had sent him six messages this evening - I hated the feeling of chasing after someone - especially him. Instead, there were no replies but I could see he read them all. Reading me on read is worse than just replying you ASS! I was getting myself worked up so decided to go into the group chat - their game of two truths one lie was continuing and I wasn't really sure why. How are they still gaining enjoyment from this?

It was random things too, like Tsukishima exposing himself for owning dinosaur plushies, or Yamaguchi saying his favourite colour was green - Hinata trying to pretend he isn't a naturally obnoxious ginger. "What would your two truths one lie be?" I asked Asahi, trying to make conversation to distract my thoughts from fleeting to Suga. He continued to put the cookie dough into little balls on a baking tray while thinking. 

"That's a bit of an awkward question..." He sighed before putting the tray in the over, "One, I have an older sister, two I learnt basketball to impress my first girlfriend, three I can't ride a bike." He paused thinking over what he said - as if checking he had included a lie in there. I laughed at him before hopping off the worktop to help myself to a drink.

I flicked the kettle on before facing him, "I know you have an older sister, and I also know you learnt basketball to impress your first crush... so the lie is you can't ride a bike." I smiled popping  a tea bag into a mug. He simply smiled back at me, a gleeful Asahi smile. 

"You are wrong, the lie was to impress my first girlfriend - I learnt basketball to impress my first boyfriend. He said volleyball wasn't as attractive so I joined the basketball team but I kinda sucked at it." He smirked at me, thinking he had one, but I was the one with some juicy information. "What would your two truths one lie be?" He asked, I should have expected him to turn the tides. The kettle switch flicked off, altering me it had reached it's boil and I thought about my answer before I began to pour the water into my cup.

I watched as my teabag floated to the surface, staining the water. "One..." I couldn't think of anything - would say overall I am quite a transparent person. "One..." I still couldn't think of anything. I guess it's a good job I never participated in the group chat if I am this boring. I was beginning to work myself up trying to think of something, what are two truths about myself worth sharing and what could be a lie? "Asahi am I that boring of a person?" I asked, I couldn't think of anything - nothing was coming to mind at all. Maybe Suga will find better mates, more interesting ones than me.

I checked my phone again, looking to see if Suga had responded. I felt myself typing without really giving it much thought. 

You : Do you plan on ignoring me forever?

I watched as his chat bubble appeared, began typing and then vanished without sending a message. I'll take that as a yes. I groaned resting my head on Asahi's shoulder making him laugh. "If it helps I got a message from him and it was just the words fuck off in capitals with full-stops to emphasise each word." I chuckled, it sounded very in character for Suga. I could imagine him yelling it, hands on hips and jerking his neck about as if he owned the world. The amount of sass radiating off of him at times could scare even a drag queen. "I wonder how Yui's party is going?" Asahi asked aloud causing me to tilt my head up to look at him. "She is probably smoking on someone's balcony and praying that her cheap perfume will mask the smell of smoke in the morning - oh by the way we are on distracting mum duty tomorrow." He groaned as if this had happened before. 

"Oh are we?" I mused, he nodded before going to finish making the drink I'd started previously.

"Yes, regrettably we are, and it will always go the exact same way it usually does. I'll wake up half an hour before she is meant to be back, have a panic attack in case mum finds out, then it is make breakfast and hope the smell of bacon and eggs fogs up the kitchen enough to distract mum, next keep her talking while Yui sneaks in the door so she can get upstairs and change before she will clamber back out the window and pretend to have just arrived back from Miya's." He rattled off the plan checking things off on his fingers before running a hand through his hair. "It is always very stressful and I rarely get a thanks." 

"What's in it for you then?" I asked him, surely he wasn't putting himself through all that for nothing. He rubbed the back of his neck looking kind of embarrassed at me asking, as a light pink blush went up onto his cheeks.

"Well she pays me - and I am saving up to take..." He muttered the last bit, making it impossible to hear what he was saying, which only lead to me hopping off the worktop to stand next him and prod his sides. 

"I'm saving up for what?" He mumbled it again still inaudible. I ended up prodding, poking and pleading to know what he was saying - if he was hiding it and going through all that it's something juicy.

He sighed giving in as he passed me my hot tea, "I'm saving up to ask Noya on a date... if he says yes." He was looking away, almost using his hair as a shield to hide himself from me. I cupped my mouth with my hand to hide my massive grin. This was the perfect distraction for my brain to latch onto for the evening. 

"You... and Noya?" I asked, he nodded slowly. "Asahi that's so cute! You'll look great together and he totally brings out your more confident side." I took a big swig of my tea, before regretting everything as it burnt my tongue and throat leaving me wheezing afterwards. "Shit, I owe Suga a meat bun and an ice cream now." I laughed to myself before pulling my phone out to message him. I know he won't respond but it felt normal to act as if he was here and if I reminisced on the fact he was probably at home having fun without us I would only get sad. 

You : Hey I guess I owe you two meat buns and ice cream. Asahi has a crush on our little libero.

I didn't expect a response but it felt good to have kept them in the loop, I suppose I really am clinging on to that normality, that sense of it all being ok. You know everything isn't ok Daichi, you know that. I shook off the negative voice in my head, it's just chatting shit again - that's all. 

Asahi politely requested that I didn't tell anyone and stopped asking questions after I had fired my message to Sugawara, I agreed that I wouldn't tell a soul outside of our trio before we went back to the lounge to watch whatever Netflix would decide for us. The random play feature was pretty helpful at curing our indecisive moments. 

You know he's gone right? You pushed him away... remember.