73. Sozin's Comet

Third POV

In Royal Palace, where Azula is being groomed by her servants in preparation for her coronation. She takes a cherry from a bowl one of her servants is holding and pops it into her mouth, only to spit out a pit in disgust.

"What am I holding?" Azula snarled, her voice showing anger and disgust as she held the cherry pit in her hand.

"A cherry pit, Princess." the servant replied fearfully.

"Correct. And what day is this?"

"It is the day of your coronation."

"Yes, it is. So, please. Tell me why, on the most important day of my life, you've decided to leave a pit in my cherry?" she snapped. She threw the pit at the servant, who winced slightly from the impact.

"It wasn't a decision; it was just a small mistake." the servant squeaked out.

"Small?" Azula gasped. "Do you realize what could've happened if I hadn't sensed the pit in time?" she said loudly.

"I suppose you could've ... choked?" the poor girl said nervously.

"Yes, then you will understand the severity of your crime." Azula glared.

"I understand, Princess. Please, forgive me." she bowed.

"Oh very well, since it is a special day, I will show mercy." she turned to the servant. "You are banished. Leave this palace immediately."

The servant bows and quietly walks away.

"What are you all looking at? I have two feet that need scrubbing. And make sure you get in between the toes. I won't have my first day as Fire Lord marred by poor foot hygiene."

About half an hour later, Azula is sitting impatiently on her throne as a band of Dai Li agents approaches.

Head of Dai Li bowed, "You sent for us, Princess. Is everything all right?" he asked.

"Actually, everything's not all right! Do you know how long it took you to get here?" Azula demanded an answer.

"Uh ... a few minutes, I guess." The Head of Dai Li said nervously.

Azula sneered, "Five, to be precise, in which time an assassin could've snuck in, done away with me and been on his merry way!" she said.

"My apologies, Princess."

"Is this how you plan to treat your new Fire Lord? With tardiness and disloyalty?" she kept her voice stable. Head of Dai Li got up, "The Dai Li would never betray you!" he said.

"And I'm sure that's just what you told Long Feng before you turned against him and joined me!" she hesitated for a second before saying, "You're all banished!"

"But—"

"Goodbye!"

The agent pauses briefly before turning around and exiting the room followed by the other Dai Li agents behind him.

"Please send in the next group on your way out!" Azula looked menacingly. She looked to her left just as footsteps are heard.

Lo and Li walked toward the throne.

"Azula, we heard what happened. Why have you banished all your servants?" Li asked.

"All your Dai Li agents ..."

"And the Imperial Firebenders?"

"None of them could be trusted. Sooner or later, they all would have betrayed me." she paused and looked away, "Just like Mai and Ty Lee did. Along with Yozora..."

"Azula, we are concerned for you and your well-being." the twins said in sync. Azula immediately glared back at the two and scowled,

"My father asked you to come here and talk to me, didn't he‌? He thinks I can't handle the responsibility of being Fire Lord." she said angrily. "But I will be the greatest leader in Fire Nation history."

"I'm sure you will. But considering everything that has happened today—"

"—Perhaps it's best if you postponed your coronation."