44. The Library

We walked through the entrance and the hanging sign falls down.

We passed by a small ice spring and got into the bar and passed five sandbenders hanging around outside.

One sandbender spat at Sokka's feet as he looked at the man angrily. The man uttered a raspy groan, slurps, and chuckled. I grabbed Sokka and pulled him into the bar, which is filled with weary travelers.

"One mango, please." A man said to the bartender.

The bartender used two swords to slice a bowl from a large chunk of ice. He cut down some mangos from the overhanging fruit and diced them up.

He chopped up a piece of fruit and poured a jug of milk into the bowl, still using the swords. He threw a decorative umbrella and straw into the bowl and served it to the man, who gave the bartender a coin.

"I don't see anything wrong with having one of those fruity beverages while we plan our strategy." Sokka said as he ran up to the bartender. "Excuse me." he said.

The man who ordered mangos bumped into Aang and spilled his drink onto the airbender.

"No worries, I clean up easy." Aang airbended the drink off of his clothes.

"You're a living relic." the man gasped.

Aang shrugged sheepishly, and said "Thanks, I try."

"An Air Nomad, right in front of me. Professor Zei, head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se University." he grabbed Aang's arm and pointed at his arrow tattoo.

"Tell me, which of the air temples do you hail from?" Professor Zei asked.

"The Southern Temple." Aang answered.

Zei measured Aang's head with a pair of calipers and speaking excitedly, "Oh, splendid! Now tell me- what was the primary agricultural product of your people?"

"Uh, are fruit pies an agricultural product?" Aang said nervously.

"Oh, truly fascinating. That is one for the journal."  Zei started writing in his journal.

"So Professor, you're obviously a well-traveled guy. Do you have a more current map? Ours seems to be a little dated." Sokka asked.

"Certainly." Zei said.

Sokka unrolled a map on a table and examined. Toph sipped her drink and propped her legs on another chair.

"What, no Fire Nation? Doesn't anybody have a good map of that place?" Sokka exclaimed.

Katara examined the map, "You've made a lot of trips into the desert."

"All in vain, I'm afraid. I've found lost civilizations all over the Earth Kingdom, but I haven't managed to find the crown jewel: Wan Shi Tong's Library." Zei said.

"You spent years walking through the desert to find some guy's library?" Toph said in disbelief.

"This library is more valuable than gold, little lady. It is said to contain a vast collection of knowledge, and knowledge is priceless." Zei said.

"Hmm, sounds like good times." Toph said.

"Oh, it is. According to legend, it was built by the great Knowledge Spirit, Wan Shi Tong, with the help of his "foxy" knowledge seekers." Zei smiled.

"Oh, so this spirit has attractive assistants, huh?" Sokka raised an eyebrow.

I put my hand on the side of Sokka's face to stop him from talking. "I think he means they look like actual foxes, Sokka."