[1]

[ 1 ]

- EDEN -

-

THE LAST BELL of the day rang and I was the first one up. Ms. Catrina, our Spanish teacher, who wasn't done with the lesson gives me a deadly glare.

I freeze at the door as she screeches my name.

"Yes, Ms. Catrina?" I ask.

"Did I dismiss you?" She asked.

I frowned, "No, but the bell did. You see Ms. Catrina, classes end at 3 on the dot and since today's the last day of school, what more could you possibly have to teach us that'll stick till next year?"

I smile, hesitantly as she continues to stare at me.

She crosses her arms and turns to the class, "Thanks to Eden, I'll let you guys go, but don't forget to practice the problems that I've given you last week for the summer!"

Halfway through her closing remarks, I was already out of the door. I rushed down the crowded hallways, making sure to dodge past all the people clawing their way to the front doors. I was going out the other way, the faster way.

Once I walked into the cafeteria, I waved at the lunch ladies and ran around back to the exit. A smile made its way to my face as the warm summer air touched my face. I took in a large breath and sighed.

My first destination for today was church.

I know it's weird, but I have to. The only thing that I ever really want is to have a fun summer. The last time that happened was five years ago when we went to a waterpark.

I let my hair out of my ponytail and walked over to the bike rack. Today I took my bike to school because being on a bike gives me a sense of freedom I just don't know how to explain. It's like you have full control over where and how you want to move. And the warm wind against your face feels heavenly at this time.

I smiled as I freed my bike and hopped on. I peddled out of the school entrance and turned onto the road, making my way to the church near my house.

I peddled past the small neighborhoods and roads as I ran against the blue sky. A warm breeze rushed past me as I made a left onto a street. As I turned left, I smiled at the kids playing out on the street, running around and some drawing with chalk on the sidewalk.

I remember those days.

At the end of the street, I turned right and saw the church. I peddled faster and jumped off my bike as I reached the entrance. I pulled my bike to the side and locked it to the rack. I quickly brushed my hands through my hair in an attempt to make my hair seem more manageable. Not having a mirror to check how it looked, I shrugged and walked in.

I looked around the church and frowned. I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing, but I decided to take a seat on one of the benches. As my butt came in contact with the seat, I winced. Who could sit on these things?

Shaking myself from my thoughts, I looked to the front. There was nobody here, but me it seemed. I decided to do what people usually did in the movies when they came to church.

I closed my eyes and clasped my hands in front of me. I sighed and started my monologue in my head.

Dear God,

I know I don't come here often, but you probably know why I'm here. All I ask for is to have a fun summer this year. Like the ones, you see on Pinterest and stuff. It doesn't have to be anything expensive or out of the ordinary, just fun.