[16]

[16]

- EDEN -

-

I WOKE UP with a start. My head pounding like a drum and my heart beating wildly in my chest. Tears pooled in my eyes as I tried to hold back the sob trying to make its way past my lips. I covered my mouth with my hand in hopes of it silencing my sobs.

I sat up and wiped away my tears with the back of my hand. The same dream polluted my mind over and over again, but this time I wasn't drowning on my own. Someone else was keeping my head submerged underwater.

Fingers were wrapped around my neck holding me down under clear water. I tried to gasp for air, but each time I took in a lungful of water that felt like I was being choked over and over again. I couldn't catch a breath.

Panic started to settle inside of me when the person's face started to unblur and I could see his cold eyes and cruel sneer. I thrashed and tried to push myself off him, but it was like I was helpless all over again. I could do nothing, but watch him overpower me.

A sob ripped through me and I felt Atlas shift next to me. Before he could say anything, I slipped out of bed and shrugged on a hoodie over my basketball shorts that weren't mine. My mood soured at the thought. I shook my head, pushing him out of my head.

As I tied my hair into a ponytail, I heard shuffling behind me, "Where are you going?"

I quickly wiped the tears from my face, frowning deeply, "None of your business."

I quickly slipped my socks on, stumbling a little. After I slipped my shoes on, I wasted no time and grabbed my things before walking out of the hotel room. I didn't know where I was going, but I needed to breathe.

As I stepped into the elevator, I slipped my AirPods in and played a random playlist. I just needed something to distract me. Go To Town by Doja Cat started to play and a small smile made its way to my lips.

I wiped the last of my tears away as I stepped into the lobby. It was eerily quiet as I made my way out the double doors. I looked around and decided to take a seat at the table Atlas and I sat on last time. I hoped he didn't come after me like last time.

"Let me see you go to town, baby." I hummed to myself.

I took a breath and picked my legs up tucking them into my arms, dropping my head onto them. I let out a shuddering sigh as my body tried to recover from the panic that came with the nightmares. I peeked my head out and stared at the fairly quiet road, looking up at the dark sky. I couldn't see the stars from here.

I smiled as I thought about the time Hamza and I snuck out late at night and went to the countryside (which was a half-hour drive from where we lived, but he insisted that we go). He had said that he wanted to see the stars since we couldn't see them from where we lived. 

I thought it was pretty stupid, but as soon as he took me out to the field and I saw the stars, I shut up. It was a pretty fun night since he took me to IHOP for pancakes after. I smiled softly.

I flinched slightly as the chair across from me scraped on the sidewalk. I looked up as Atlas took a seat across from me. He was dressed in a simple black tee and a pair of track pants. I glared at him for two reasons. One being that he looked that good when he just woke up and two for even being here.

"Go away," I grumbled, putting my head back down and trying to run away from reality and hide in my good memories. Atlas didn't let me.

"Why are you out here?" He asked.