[22]

[22]

- EDEN -

-

THE DREAMS THAT came tonight weren't as bad as those other nights. The face that I yearned to see for years, the face that made me cry tears for hours visited me tonight. Though I was asleep, I felt my cheeks wet with tears as I tried to mentally grasp what was real and what wasn't.

A small sob left my lips and I pressed my hand to my lips in an attempt to silence my tears. I peeked my eyes open and took in a breath, keeping the dam of emotions in check. I looked up and watched Atlas as he slept peacefully for what looked to be the first time.

My hand that was shaking in fear reached up and softly touched Atlas's cheek. His eyebrows furrowed before they relaxed again. I gently dragged my fingers down his cheek before pulling back and taking in a breath. The effect he had on me unnerved me.

Taking in a deep breath, I slipped out of Atlas's embrace and ran my hand through my hair, and quickly wiped away my tears. I quietly opened the door and slipped out, making my way to my room.

I looked around my room and instantly relaxed as I heard the waves crashing in the distance. I walked over to my open window and took in a deep breath of the salty ocean air. A soft breeze floated in through my window, blowing my hair back.

With a sudden urge to be in the water, I slipped my sandals on and walked back out of my room. I quickly and quietly made my way downstairs and made my way to the balcony, making sure to leave the door open a crack so I wouldn't get locked out. I then padded my way over to the wooden gate to the right of the pool and slipped past it, my feet meeting the grainy sand.

I took slow steps towards the shore, taking in the tranquility that came with being alone on a beach. As I neared the beach, I opened my phone and turned on a playlist. Space Song by Beach House played first and a small smile tugged at the corners of my lips. I turned up the music and plopped my phone down on the sand next to my sandals.

I took small steps towards the water and let out a small sigh as my feet came in contact with the damp sand. I dug my feet into the wet sand, a small smile making its way to my lips. Eventually, I stepped forward and let the waves crash onto my feet. As the cold water washed over my toes, I let out a small laugh. And suddenly, it was like I didn't have a care in the world.

I sloshed my feet around in the water, letting the freezing cold sea prickle my skin. I took in a breath of the salty air, finally feeling all the little frazzled nerves in my brain fade out to a soft whisper.

I found myself wondering if everyday could be like moments like this. Peaceful moments filled with nothing but the sound of waves lapping against the shore and the feeling of the cold water against my calves. As the cool air blew my hair back, I let out a sigh. It wouldn't be possible.

As the song switched to Romantic Lover by Eyedress, I turned around as I heard the gate click open. A small breath left my lips as I watched Atlas make his way to the beach. I turned back around and trailed my hand over the water, staying quiet as the song played softly in the background.

A small sigh left my lips and I quietly crouched down, submerging my head in water. As I sat there, a feeling of eerie quiet washed over me. There wasn't a sound down here and I wondered if there was anything scarier in the world. I think it scared me because it sounded so lonely...

When I resurfaced, I took in a lungful of air as I brushed my hair from my face. As I blinked the water out of my eyes, I turned around and noticed that Atlas had taken a seat on the sand. The next song played in the background as I made my way back towards the beach. A shiver left my lips as a breeze brushed past me. I settled onto the ground next to Atlas, sitting quietly, yet, enjoying the soft music playing behind us telling us about their story as the world caved in around them.